Fg Xr6T Ute - No Boost Lots Of White Smoke!

tfc

• Member For: 12y 6m 1d

Hi All,

Running a 2009 FG ute with a few basic mods, pulling 290kw at the wheels. Noticed turbo had been making a noise after switching off engine in last few weeks.

Pulled out on the freeway, hit the go pedal and heard a little tinkle of a noise, then had no boost at all, engine running fine.

After about 5 seconds, HUGE amounts of white smoke pouring out the exhaust (pretty much blocked the freeway) pulled straight over.

Just towed it home. Any ideas what is going on?

Cheers

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3d

How many km on the car? Sounds like the turbo bearing has given way and therefor flogged the seal. When you change it be sure to check the turbo oil feed filter as it is very common for these to bloke up.

• Member For: 12y 6m 1d

Thanks blokes! I thought as much.... could be that bloody filter, wish I had pulled it out now. Should have seen the smoke!! Like a bushfire! Funny thing was I had just done a proper overtake on a few cars and then booooom smoke, the cars I had overtaken couldn't go past until it had cleared! Cops appeared from nowhere 'we thought someone was doing a burnout'. That would be the biggest burnout I have ever seen :)

Car has done 80,000 km, been modded for about 15K. I do abuse it a fair bit.

Time for a bigger and better turbo, might trawl the forum for ideas.

Currently running 4" dump, big injectors, herrod intake making 290rwkw

I did love the low down power made by the small FG turbo.

Anyway, any ideas let me know!

Cheers

• Hench, but no longer shredded or tanned.
  • Member For: 17y 27d

Get either the gtx 3576 or 3582 depends on how far you wanna go.. (350-370) or 380-420+) on pump 98.. with an upgraded fuel/surge tank setup.

MOST tuners will fit it up for free if you get them to port the wastegate and upgrade the actuator. Costs vary depending on the workshop.

The GTX is on special indefinitely @ CMS for around 1600 delivered to your door. He charges an extra 15$ to tap the actuator bleeder nipple into the face.

Best of luck mate!

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3d

I love the 82r and will net you about 410wkw with the right sustaining mods. But I have an auto. Others like the 76r and will net you around 360wkw with the right sustains mods. The 82r is on full boost by 2600rpm. The 76r I cannot comment on.