Rebuilding Top End Of Motor, Whats Good To Change For Power

fpv229

• Member For: 10y 11m 1d

blew a piston in my 6th cylinder, buying a new bottom end motor, and getting the top end rebuilt.

wanting more power out of the car, so whilst its all apart just need few ideas of performance mods I can do.

e.g cams, pistons, etc

• Member For: 12y 3m 15d

Well, it is not top end but pistons and rods if you want to go all out power wise - plenty of choices and IMO the dollars are reasonable for what you get.

The heads on these things work well so other than a basic clean up / inspect / service a big dollar port job is not essential - have a look at the 400RWKW posts for guidance. However, there are success stories with headwork. Very much a personal choice and requires research - you do need to find someone who knows this sort of work.

Quality valve springs for sure. Camshaft changes - well, there are reports of good results and not so good results. If it is a BA, it does seem that the factory FG cams are a mild improvement and provide no issue for tuners. After that, it depends on the type of performance you want and how much you want to pay. It is also something you need to discuss with the tuner.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 21d

Spool imports rebuild kit with CP pistons I've used very happy just waiting until I get my brembo's on and pick a tuner and ill post some results plenty of people have used them on here

Edited by KeddyXR6T

• Member For: 10y 11m 1d

well I am ordering a new bottom end on monday so there goes the idea of forged pistons, etc.

just more wanting to know what sort of upgrade are worth in the top end and if its even worth touching it?

I.e port and polishing the heads, valves, valve springs, cams?? if anyone has any info would be great

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 21d

Yeah I had seen the fpv shorts going for 2700 brand new get a good set of springs and retainers and the bf cams are better seems to be the yard stick for b series heads its what I've used in my ba block but that being said I've heard KPM cams in a XR6T and it was fierce with a 3inch zorst

Edited by KeddyXR6T