Ba Mk2 - Turbo Cutting Out, Shaking And Stalling

Sciara

• Member For: 10y 6m 20d
Hey Guys!

Im very new to this so fogive me if ive posted in the wrong place. Ive recently bought an 2005 Xr6 Turbo BA mk2. 150,000k's on the clock. Before purchasing I had a vehicle inspection done and it came back positive. However the other day I noticed quite a different whistling sound from the turbo. It almost sounded like it was ringing at higher speeds. I let the engine warm up and gave it a hard go. It got up to about late gear 3 around 90kms and the whole turbo cut out and the cars speed dramatically dropped. I pulled over and the car was still slowing down, shaking as if it was about to stall. I turned it off and back on and it was fine.

This hapepend twice after I gave it a bit of juice.

Ive heard this could be the TPS or another sensor, but I was wondering if anyones had the same problem??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Alex

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 11m 4d

Before purchasing I had a vehicle inspection done and it came back positive.

Car has the claps. This is what happens when you park it next to Holdens overnight.

Is it / was it tuned? Sounds like valve springs.

No its completely stock at the moment. Dont think the previous owner had done anything to it either.
A mate of mine said it might be getting to much air triggering the sensor?

Valve spings, ill have to look into that.

Thanks!

• Talks Cheap, Let's Race
  • Member For: 17y 4m 14d

have to go with the norm, change fuel filter, air filter ok, turbo bolts tight is the turbo still spining not make odd noises, all piping still on and tight

Thanks Phantom

Im going to go get all that checked out and ill change what I can. Ive bought Earls Turbo Oil lines which im going to replace as ive heard its easier to change and check the filter.

I do notice the turbo making an irregular whistling noise, certainly doesnt sound normal. It is my first turbo however so im only comparing to what ive been told.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 24d

Ive got the exact same problem. When you say the car was shaking after you slowed down was it shaking way more than it normally should on idle?? In my case it shakes like crazy.. mechanic said the engine mounts need to be replaced. But he also said there is an error code for the wastegate so it could be both.

Oh no defenatly more than normal idle. It has a similar feeling to when your just about to stall a manual, that violent shake. After I turned if off and on again it was back to normal. Just seems to happen after I push it hard.

Ive just had the engine mounts replaced so ill have to look further into the wastegate. Did the rror code come up on the diagnostic test? and im guessing it didnt light up on the dash either.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, great to get some knowledge as im very new to all this!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 24d

Well my car shakes a lot on idle anyway because of the engine mounts so I thought it was that but maybe there's more than one issue. I did have the engine light come up but then it would go off again, so the mechanic ran the diagnostic test and said it was a wastegate code. Car is fine until boost comes on. Keen to know what you find out.