Knock In Rear On Take Off

diceptikonn

• Member For: 10y 6m 19d

Hi

Just had my 2004 BA rear diff bushes replaced as it was making a knocking noise from the back somewhere. It still makes this noise on gentle take off. Any ideas please as to what could be causing this noise?

Also has a whining noise in first gear (automatic trans) and on highway at about 100kms.

Anyone with ideas in these issues please..

• Member For: 11y 4m 18d

mine made a big clunk when I took off changed gears and slowed down got the bushes replaced noise still there replaced tailshaft coupling still got the noise turns out the diff was shagged got a new diff put in last week no more clunk

Thanks guys, I guess that's the next thing I check out; the diff. Kmart auto suggested rear rose bushes another mech suggested rear arm blade bushes, but might have the diff looked at first. Also had the whining sound looked at by a tech suggested the gear box is on its way out: 2k to fix! Car has done 112000 ks.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 21d

Did the noise start after the bushes were installed or was it already there but not as loud?

Depending on what brand of bushes were fitted and how they were installed you might find that the noise is being enhanced by the harder bushes.

This is not to say that the bushes are the problem, they are just making the issue more apparent

Did the noise start after the bushes were installed or was it already there but not as loud?

Depending on what brand of bushes were fitted and how they were installed you might find that the noise is being enhanced by the harder bushes.

This is not to say that the bushes are the problem, they are just making the issue more apparent

No the noise has been there before the bushes got replaced. Grellow I hear what you saying, it does make that noise on gear change as well, just not sure that if its the bush why would it just make this whining noise in first gear and when coasting? If anyone has any suggestions? But I am leaning torwards the diff being broken down.