Change Cat Or Gut It (Fg)

Bellato

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 5d

So I made less power than I wanted a few weeks ago and according to the tuner its the exhaust that's holding me back at 295rwkw although I have a 3.5" dump and 100 cell cat, also with rear muffler delete.

Not sure if I in fact had the wrong cat installed or not but thinking about changing it. Tuner wants me to do cat and catback but no point because I'm not changing turbo any time soon.

So was thinking whether I should cut out and weld in a new venom cat ($200 + retune) or gut the current one?

I know gutting it is illegal but I'm more more concerned how loud the exhaust will be because as it is it's quite loud. Has anyone gutted their cat and how loud is it and does it drone much?

Also is it possible to drive around with the new cat for 350kms on the highway (can run my valet tune with 3200rpm rev cut if need be) to get to the tuner or no go? And what about for gutted cat, I'm guessing its worse because much more flow?

Cheers

• Hench, but no longer shredded or tanned.
  • Member For: 17y 28d

Having a gutted cat on the BF I can tell you its pretty damn loud to be honest. There is slight drone at certain revs aswell.

I drove about 60ks to my tuner and was fine but I'm not sure how the FG would react to it.

• Hench, but no longer shredded or tanned.
  • Member For: 17y 28d

Had standard catback at the time with the centre muffler cut out, especially morning startups I'd wake the neighbours that's for sure aha. I got a xforce dual 2.5 into quad outlets later and it cut the drone, was still pretty loud though.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 25d

Yeh I was just being Cheersie

Politics aside gutted cats work extremely well especially on fg's and if the rest of the system is stock the sound goes from quiet to a mild growl

Edited by JETURBO

• Member For: 11y 10m 29d

If you have a 100 CPSI cat you should be fine. 295kw seems like good power.

From what I understand the Pre 2011 FG Cats are more restrictive than the post 2011 Cats.

I made 300kw with F6 Intercooler and Standard 2011 onward Cat debunged (re stricter ring ported out), but not gutted.

I would not think the exhaust would be holding you back as the FG's have a 3" Exhaust from Factory and I think it's straight through aswell, I know the rear muffler is.

Edited by Z2TT

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 5d

Yea I realise I can make 300 with just a cat change but I've done that with a dump and haven't hit 300 so rather than spending another 200 and welding in a new 100 cell cat that will possibly get me the same result I was thinking punching it out.

I might punch out the stock cat and make up a section with flanges using it so it can be dropped in and out.

I more or less want to see what the gain is with no cat and then decide from there, probably won't be a permanent thing

• Like 1