Pw Surge & 460 Pump With Stock Reg

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 18d

Hey F6Fury,

I had exactly the same problem using the 460 pump with standard fuel regulator in one of my customer cars. I saw approx ~100psi at idle, and it was causing problems with the bosch 1000cc injectors opening causing stalling problems etc.

Bellato u will be fine as the stage one still keeps 58psi/4bar base there ( wont allow extra ) like gilly mentioned 4.5bar is taking our base fuel press higher than the stock 4bar and then buggers with the speed density in the tune, but can allow higher flow from smaller injectors ( a backwards way of increasing flow for our situation )

I disagree. The speed density algorithm is for the airflow and Load calculation, in no way is it affected by fuel pressure.

What is affected is the injector scaling and all that is required is a simple adjustment to raise all values to their published 4.5 bar values. Fuel pressure affects injector flow rates so accounting for this in the tune (scaling) is all that is required.

I've done this before with the 4.5 bar drop in reg on a few cars.

Jet, as Toad said. Speed density should not be touched based on fuel injector size or fuel pressure.

This way supplied accurate injector data can be utilised accurately for a given fuel system pressure.. eg our KPM scaling data is always generated for 4 bar standard pressure for the Aussie fords.

I have very rarely seen "accurate" injector data for use in our Aussie vehicles. I've even seen tuners use SCT value files, which change the fuel pressure delta tables on aussie pcms which are referenced differently to the return-less systems used in USA.

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 10d

Thanks for the info. My tuner has bumped my idle up to 680rpm (from 550 standard I believe) in order to 'fix' the problem but not happy with the higher idle if theres more to it. Have the car booked in for Thursday morning to have fuel pressure checked, if the pressures are higher than desire then upgraded fuel reg coming my way and a retune.

• Member For: 11y 4m 4d

I ordered the Stage 1 fitting kit today after reading all this.thanks for the heads up as car isn't booked in till 27th so it'll save stuffing around

yes no probs it's good to share experiences before you run in to a known problem
  • Like 1

• Member For: 11y 4m 4d

Hey F6Fury,

I had exactly the same problem using the 460 pump with standard fuel regulator in one of my customer cars. I saw approx ~100psi at idle, and it was causing problems with the bosch 1000cc injectors opening causing stalling problems etc.

Jet, as Toad said. Speed density should not be touched based on fuel injector size or fuel pressure.

I have very rarely seen "accurate" injector data for use in our Aussie vehicles. I've even seen tuners use SCT value files, which change the fuel pressure delta tables on aussie pcms which are referenced differently to the return-less systems used in USA.

yes headsex I see a lot of guys simply bolt fuel systems in and don't bother checking pressure and then start tuning and scale down the injectors,I left my gauge on while on full power runs just to make sure that we were getting the correct pressures through out and in the end we definitely had to put a reg on

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 18d

Thanks for the info. My tuner has bumped my idle up to 680rpm (from 550 standard I believe) in order to 'fix' the problem but not happy with the higher idle if theres more to it. Have the car booked in for Thursday morning to have fuel pressure checked, if the pressures are higher than desire then upgraded fuel reg coming my way and a retune.

I don't believe this will "fix" the problem.. Maybe cover it up a little, but im sure the high pressure will still be there.

yes headsex I see a lot of guys simply bolt fuel systems in and don't bother checking pressure and then start tuning and scale down the injectors,I left my gauge on while on full power runs just to make sure that we were getting the correct pressures through out and in the end we definitely had to put a reg on

Well, typically the old 044 surge tank was as simple as that, bolt on, and drive away. It only made a slight difference to fuel delivery (usually because the factory pump couldn't keep up on the first place).

I only noticed the problem on this particular vehicle because it started stalling, and idle running like crap.. Scratched my head for a while before it was decided to put a fuel pressure gauge on.

Good info. So the PW surge & 460 with the Stage 1 KPM fuel reg. is the combo to go?

KPM sell a fuel reg yes. But Process West SubSurge has a Stage 1 fitting kit which includes a Turbosmart fuel reg mounted to the subsurge, So it simplifies installation and looks the treat! :)

Yea just buy the pw stage 1 kit.

Having spoken to kev today he is changing the stage 1 kit from being recommended to required with the 460. As far as I'm aware the dw300 doesn't require the upgraded reg

Yeah, I also spoke to kev yesterday about it, because I noticed he had mentioned you could use it even thought I had told him when he first released it we had problems and needed the STG1 Reg replacement kit. He told me the same thing that he will update this website.

The single DW300 will be fine, However, I wonder how the twin DW300 fairs.. It could be up there with the single 460..

In my previous experience with the old surge tank, I was one of the original people to run twin 044's, and the Factory fuel reg had the same problem, Althought I do not believe it was as extreme. Either way, with-in a week I fitted a Aftermarket reg to my setup.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 10d

Sooooo my car's running 100psi at idle

Needless to say stage 1 fitting kit is on its way, hopefully fitted up and retuned 2moro. Not real happy that I've been driving around like this for 2 weeks and tuner kept telling me nothings wrong...