nelsonian101

Pics Of 275's All Round For Circuit

Finally got around to taking some pics of my new circuit wheels/tyres yesterday at SMP.

SSR Type C 18 x 9.5" +22 offset. (semi forged)

275/35 18" Hankook Z214 C51 medium

Same all round to allow tyre rotation and flipping as they are directional. Widest I think possible and still remain the same front and rear.

Both front and rear guards rolled.

3.5 Neg Camber front. 2 deg neg rear.

Very stiff springs and dampening to match.

Front shows the small front splitter and front brake ducting covers (which are removed to improve airflow prior to hitting the circuit)

The car now handles better than the majority of street registered Evo's with a bit of weight stripped.

I am surprised how well balanced the car is now. Can be brought from slight understeer to slight over steer with the touch of throttle at the limit.

Took 4 years of mods, but it is really handling nicely now.

Looking forward to Wakefield September 7th!

post-16087-0-07763900-1374745947_thumb.j

post-16087-0-75753000-1374745958_thumb.j

post-16087-0-00297800-1374745970_thumb.j

post-16087-0-91702000-1374745980_thumb.j

post-16087-0-26114000-1374745993_thumb.j

post-16087-0-56256400-1374746010_thumb.j

4 or 6 pot brembos? hold up good with circuit work?

4 pots are fine for circuit work, even with slicks.

4 pots with race pads (Project MU H16 03 are unbelievable and I've tried just about everything else) with synthetic 300 deg plus fluid, will out brake 6 pots all day.

I burn out a set of DBA5000's every year though.

Looks unreal Paul, love it!

How were your lap times?

What'd the new SSRs set you back?

Definitely can't wait for 7 September.

The SSR's are great. The 26mm wider track front and rear makes a big difference to stability.

Retail for over $2500, but luckily found one set for $1800 after a lot of searching.

Cant fault the Z214's. Have gone back to these after using Michelin Porche Cup Slicks for 2 years.

Seem stronger. More predictable and last longer in medium.

Re: SMP full track. VERY hard to get a full clear lap on the public days.

Best recorded was a low 2min18 but easy 2min15 on the cards. A 1min49 would be my aim on the GP track.

Time and time again would finally get a good run out onto the main straight and get the apex right at turn 1 (both crucial for a decent lap), when I would hit traffic.

No fault of the HSV driver coming onto the circuit, just bad luck for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqE8UgkbVAM

Do these rims have the centre hole done to match the fords (70.5mm)

If these rims were a +35 offset would they still fit front to back. I dont want to roll guards.

SSR make their own unique centre bore rings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vk0THb9NrY

The wheels I have are 18" X 9.5" +22 offset all round.

A 275/35 18 just fits on the back with 2deg neg camber. A 285 doesn't fit even with guards rolled at +22 on my low car.

With a +35 offset you will be ok on the back of a sedan with 265's, but would scrape upper control arm on the front with these 275 tyres. Don't know if a 245 tyre would fit sorry.

My front 275's just clear the inside and outside. Cant use full lock as the wheels rub on brake ducting and if anything less than 3 deg camber is used, they rub on the guards at the front with 275's.

Currents setting are perfect for maximum grip.

No comment Paul.

See ya at Wakefield then I'll give you what for............ :pandalol:

Hopefully we get a few more Turbo Taxi's out there on the 7th.

I saw one "stockish" blue FGXR6T at SMP yesterday but it was mainly WRX's and Evos as usual.

which intercooler do you use on the track? heat soak become an issue at all?

The intercooler is a Stepped PWR.

I always do a careful cool down lap, open bonnet and use a floor industrial fan when parking in pits.

Winter circuit days are fine to get enough cool air onto the intercooler/radiator and I don't often spend much time behind cars in warmer air.

A watchdog temp sensor with coolant alarm keeps everything monitored on track. If coolant goes over 110deg, I back off or return to pits.

do you run a power steering cooler?

The FG has a power steering cooler as part of the stock set up, mounted in front of radiator. I change the ps fluid every year.

Cool thought you might have had to upgrade as I had read FG's like to boil their fluid

Thanks for the suggestion. Might have to look into this or relocate the ps cooler as the current intercooler blocks it.

What are people using and where do they mount it?

Love the car mate sounds like a good combo of power and handling . With your current setup how do you think power would affect your lap times . Do you think you would be able to achieve similar lap times with standard power?

Also do you think your wheel and tyre combo would fit on the rear at standard height without camber or guard work?

Luke

Edited by LU82

Love the car mate sounds like a good combo of power and handling . With your current setup how do you think power would affect your lap times . Do you think you would be able to achieve similar lap times with standard power?

Also do you think your wheel and tyre combo would fit on the rear at standard height without camber or guard work?

Luke

My car does not have a lot of top end power. What is does have is low end grunt and torque. Best times are on about 300rwkw tune. I actually found my 350rwkw tune slower as getting power down was too difficult. Peak power has very little to do with it, especially at Wakefield. What I have found you need is a big area under the dyno graph low down. I.e. you want instant power and torque low in the rev range for maximum corner exit speed. Especially in 3rd gear for expanding exit turns. The small FG turbo is perfect for this with E85 and a 4" turbo side intake. Lag is non existent and acceleration more explosive off the turns from 2000-3000rpm than any big turbo 500rwkw dyno queen. :) I don't use the last 500rpm and actually shift at 5000rpm

To answer your question, my car with current wheel/tyre combo and suspension/braking mods even if it had stock 230rwkw would be quicker than a much more powerful tuned car without the brakes/chassis mods to support it. Power was the last thing I altered. These cars don't need power, just more grip for acceleration, braking and cornering.

My current wheel/tyre combo would poke out 28mm further than the stock +35 offset 245 rear tyre assuming camber was the same.

Before my rear guards were rolled, I only just fit 275/35 18's on the back with my road +35 rims. There is no way a +22 offset would fit without a guard roll on my car or rear camber changes sorry. ;)

Good info .

I've never done any track work in cars only bikes. Same story power is the last thing you look at when chasing a quicker lap time , with more power you usually just get increased tyre wear , inconsistent lap times and more chance of crashing.

The best thing about the track it's where the bullsh*t stops

Good info .

I've never done any track work in cars only bikes. Same story power is the last thing you look at when chasing a quicker lap time , with more power you usually just get increased tyre wear , inconsistent lap times and more chance of crashing.

The best thing about the track it's where the bullsh*t stops

Experience with bikes really helps with general circuit technique. I raced for 2 years in the RB Imports series, Oran Park and Amaroo in the late 90's (750's and 250's). Actually won 5 races too!

A book I highly recommend is "Twist of the Wrist" 1st edition. Principles such as rolling on the throttle as early and smoothly as possible apply to cars too and is the best advice I have ever been given.

Cool pics paul

Question - Can you take your number plates off or do you have to leave them on?

I'm thinking of taking mine off for Wakefield