Car Shutting Down While Driving

-LYNCHO-

• Member For: 11y 1m 23d

Hey fellas, bit of a problem I've been having with my 05 turbo. I would be driving along at te speed limit and all of a sudden the entire car would just shut down. It would miss for about 1 second and then all systems down. This has happened 3 times and I've been able to pull over, turn the electrics off and back on again and the car would start. There have been no running issues with the car. The car only does this when it is warm. The most recent time I had to get towed back to my house. Same problem, although this time the car wouldn't start. The electrics still work one the car has stopped, and turns over but won't start. Dash lights flash as engine cuts out when driving.

I suspect a crank angle sensor or an issue with the ecu. Any thoughts or has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers

• Member For: 11y 9m 2d

hows the earth strap from engin to chassis? and make sure allllll min cables for ecu are secure....any rats or mice in your area? maybe somethings chewed somehwere

Where abouts is the earth strap? Wouldnt that mean no electrics at all? Cables to ECU are fine, and no rats or mice!

The engine still turns over fine but I don't think its getting fuel. Its not the fuel pump as you can hear it when you turn electrics on, also its a brand new larger pump. Injectors are brand spankin, aswell as all 6 coils.

The RAC guy who had to come out before I could get the tow truck went over it and said it's more than likely the ECU or crank angle sensor. How can I determine for sure which one it is, if either of them? If its a CAS you can pick them up on eBay for ~$50 and I would replace it myself, and if its the ECU I will grab one from a wreckers, install it and use my free tow truck ride to Xtreme Ford to be recoded and have the tune reloaded.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3d

I had the same problem in my girl friends xr6. I was also told battery and alternator and earth cables etc etc. had the dealer look at it and they couldn't find it ether. It ended up being the plugs under the ecu in the engine bay. The clips had not clipped in properly. Put some electrical grease in the plug before replacing installing then again and that'll stop corrosion in the future.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3d

I had to remove the plugs out of the ecu to find the clip damaged... It all looked sweet when I visually had a look.

Edited by AdamIan69

Yeah sweet. I've been away at work since the night after it happened so haven't been able to check. I've got a mate coming around Thursday arvo with a fault finder so we'll see if that comes up with anything!