Who Services There Xr6 Turbo Themselves ?

BISHY1

• Member For: 11y 2m 20d

I have a ba xr6 turbo. I want to service it myself for the most part and with in my skills. What is in a service exactly? I see there are different services depending on age and kilometres. Is the major part oil change, oil filter, air filter? Check other fluid levels?

What is recommended and what are people actually doing?

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 11m 3d

Your car manual should tell you what needs to be done at each major/ minor service. Remember though that some things that involve wear and tear will only be picked up by a mechanic that knows these cars (ball joints, timing chains etc).

The easy stuff would be spark plugs, coilpacks, engine/diff/gearbox/clutch reservoir flushes. Changing fuel and oil filters, boost solenoid clean out. Take the two heat shields off that surround your turbo and retorque all the exhaust bolts you can see(manifold, manifold to turbo, turbo bolts, dump pipe bolts etc). If you still want to do more you can look at things like retightening your handbrake the proper way etc.

There is a wealth of information here on the site for all these relatively simple procedures. The search feature is your friend!

• Like 2

• Member For: 11y 2m 20d

I never thought to look in the books I have in the glove box... Nice one.

Clearly I'm wanting to save some dosh. I do oil, filter and air myself every 7500km. I should still get a mechanic to look over things but?

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 11m 3d

A really important one that probably isn't mentioned in your book is the inline oil filter for your turbo. If it gets blocked kiss your turbo goodbye. Some members here take them out claiming a blocked filter is worse than no filter at all.

You can buy an Earls Inline oil filter kit to replace that factory setup. It's a reusable filter and braided lines that you can just wash in some petrol and makes servicing a lot easier.

Edited by _Velocity_