The End Of Ford Aus.

tab

• Member For: 15y 8m 16d

If the government put a stop to imports we would just be paying more for a sh*t product as there wouldnt be the same level of competition to drive value. Manufacturing as a whole in this country is finding it tough for a number of reasons.

I do feel for all those Ford employees and the like who will lose their jobs and potentially a lot more but I'm not upset to see the Ford motor vehicle not being produced. This is due to my own experience dealing with Ford sales and service and comparing that to other car companies I have dealt with.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 26d

They are legally obliged to continue providing spare parts for at least ten years I think it is, so there'll be no concerns there. And it's probably the only profitable part of the entire business model anyway.

As for the stopping imports argument that's a bit silly. They could have provided a level playing field to make things a bit easier as far as tariffs and free-trade agreements etc. But Ford themselves seemed to have dropped the ball long ago, Ford US wouldn't let them export the falcon and they seemed to have just given up. When was the last time you saw an advert on TV for an XR or FPV?

Thoughts are with you guys still working for Ford. I guess at least they've given plenty of notice - still wouldn't make it easy though.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 26d

It probably did, in terms of slowing the decline. But was nothing more than a half-arsed attempt in any case.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m

Comments section of The Age going haywire with people DEMANDING that subsidies be repaid to the government.

Showing an astonishing lack of knowledge of basic economic principles, and a very short memory ($900 Rudd Money anyone??!!)

Yeah, I noticed that too. I don't think they realise that without the subsidies they would have shut up shop earlier.

First they complain about Expensive Daewoo and Ford being given subsidies. Then when they no longer want them, they demand they repay them...the irony is strong.

There hasn't been any confirmation yet on the expected 2014 refresh of the lineup. I'd be betting that instead of a new FH model it will just be the FG MkIII now.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 25d

2014 updates will still go ahead, they'll still look good, and they still won't be competitive.

Officially turning the lights off in October 2016, but then again Mistubishi closed pretty quickly didn't they?