What To Stay Away From

MFR31

• Member For: 10y 11m 6d

I recently sold my FG turbo ute (very sad day) im going to be in the market for a ba/bf sedan turbo. I vaguely remember my mate saying to stay away from one of the transmissions in these (cant remember if it was auto or manual) was wondering if anyone here could help me out, and with any other advice would be great.

thanks

• Menace
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3d

if it were me I'd look for an 07 model manual.. will have to upgrade the clutch at some point if you mod but they are tuff as!

I reckon the 6 speed manual would be the most robust gearbox in the B series.

With the right setup I cant see why you couldn't run over 400 as a daily driver aswell :)

5 speed manual or 4 speed autos are said to have issues once you start pushing some more grunt, some ppl have even lunched them with stock power.

The ZF's IMO are the beez knees in terms of the gear boxes but they can have there quirks too.

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 8d

yep dont get a 5 speed manual cause if you sneeze they will blow up.

if you want an auto then get a bf with a 6 speed. the 4 speed in the earlier model can be built pretty tough, but are more likely to pop at some point with 350+ rwkw...

oh and also stay away from jet....

Edited by Panda Eyes

• Member For: 12y 4m 12d

As above, get a late BF. The manual is okay. Despite what is sometimes said, the T56 should shift quite well. If it doesn't, then avoid. When hot, they do get roll-over rattle at idle with the aircon on and that can be worse with some aftermarket clutch kits. If you have a tuner, you can mess around with idle speed and reduce the noise.

There are pages of threads on clutch kits and what fluid to use in the box. Dexron3 is factory and it is cheap and easy to replace. Transmax Z is also recommended by the nat distributor of these gearboxes. Redline is another - but it costs.

Clutch - well - Mal Wood option3+ ..... but like I said, everyone has a story.

Edited by BRK

• Member For: 10y 11m 6d

I sold the fg because I lost my job. Now that I have another job, I also have a Baby due in 4 weeks, plus I just bought my partner an SUV, so I cant really justify spending that amount of money to be honest right now. I really just wanted something in a specific price range, to toy around with. I may just wait an extra 6-12 months and get the fg.