The old guy who taught me when I was learning said there are only 2 kinds of riders. Those who have stacked it and those who will.

With that in mind, get a cheap bike that has lots of parts available, has NO fairing, and is preferably jap so it will be an easy and cheap fix when you drop it. If you think you won't drop it, you're wrong.

Get frame sliders straight away. Keep the bike under $5000. The cheaper the better. When I got my licence I could have waited for my car opens and then jump straight on a bike bike. Instead I did my time on a crappy $1000 enduro bike that blew smoke everywhere. So many people forget that you are supposed to learn on your first bike. Bit hard if you are worried about dropping your brand new CB400 all the time - and you will.

Forget about resale and get something you can thrash. You'll have more fun. You'll also have more respect for your bigger and faster bike when you get it. Not only that, you'll have the right skills.

Wear your gear. With mesh jackets these days there's no excuse. They are light and feel barely there, get a proper back protector too. If you are on the bike you should have full finger gloves on all the time. Preferably leather. I've ridden with plenty of different people and sometimes explaining the glove thing is a bit annoying. The best way I can put it is: If you go down and you lose the use of your hands for 4-8 weeks - who will wipe your arse? Your missus? Your kids? Your mum? There no good choice...

Best advice I can give you is to do some riding on the dirt. It'll help with the inevitable situation where you hit spilt diesel or oil on the road.

As for best first bike. IMHO - Suzuki DRZ400SM. Alternatively any cheap enduro will do.

Appreciate your input lumpy, just put a deposit on a GV650 Aquila Sport.

Black, 6000ks, rego til December, efi 2010 model, all stock for $5500

Should pick it up tomorrow night

Not a bad choice actually. 2 of the guys I've ridden with recently went with the GV650 for their first ride.

Much less likely to drop it being a cruiser, just need to watch the pegs while cornering.

They've had a good and bad experience with their bikes, one is faultless and the other has had a bunch of electrical(mainly) problems. If I recall correctly they don't come with a tool kit so make sure you get some basic stuff which will let you get the seat off in case you need to get to the battery. Make sure you also have some zip ties as the shifter linkage is known to get loose.

Other than that, happy riding and stay safe.

Yes mate, GV650 EFi Sports

I've taken the back rest off (looks alot better) and cut some of the baffle out of the muffler so it has a bit of sound now - not many options out there for exhausts since the EFi model runs an O2 sensor in the pipes. The aftermarket slip on mufflers look like they are for a sports bike and don't suit the cruiser IMO

Nice stuff Pat. Good move on the remove of the back rest, looked d1cky.

Very observant there Mickus but I think a garden gnomes should be in the garden.......lol

Enjoy mate and stay safe.

should never sit helmet on bike!!! always on ground p@

cause if it falls off, and hits hard concrete ground, helmet theoretically is now stuffed...specially flash new shoei!

good day for riding today p@.... go for a quick blat down through nasho to where all those silly people do para sailing off that cliff..... or even go on to gong and have lunch at the best place evaaar, chickos!

you wont do snowys cruise on your new "bike"

youve changed man

the old dags would have done snowys cruise no matter how big or small his new sodamichael is

I would have agreed with the DRZ400SM being a top, top learner bike...

Having said that, when you can ride a bigger bike - get the Superduke!

That is all...

So, I completed rider training and got my learner licence on Friday.

Been on the piglet (cos it's smaller than a real hog) for almost 300ks and I'm loving it!

Need some winter gloves though, my digits have been cold since Friday night...

Looks kewel Dags

Heading out this weekend for a southern highlends loop - got some winter gloves too, so should be fairly enjoyable.

Also chopped the stock pipe on the weekend, sounds a little bit gruntier and has a crack on decel now. Can't wait to get a full license so I can buy a bike with a proper motor!