Fitting A Barra I6T To Another Vehicle

• Member For: 10y 11m 19d

Currently I have the std XJ open diff in the rear end. I know that will work fine but it is 2.89:1 ration (I think) which is very long. I can get an XJS diff which is an LSD and a much better 3.54:1 ratio.

I'd also want to fit a Series 2 or 3 front end which has the vented brakes. Yes my current rotors are solid! That said they are pretty good. The other advantge of fitting the S2/3 front end is that you can use the S1 upper wishbones and gain some extra castor.

• 2 weeks later...

I went for a ride in a friend's FG F6 Ute today. It has been tuned by CV Performance and has 380rwkw and is running the 6sp Auto. I told him about my idea so he took me for a spin to see if it would motivate my interest. It certainly did that!

Boy did that car shift and the 6sp Auto is a sweet box. Nice and docile when it's just cruising too.

Rubbish handling though......

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, measured up a friends BA XR6 Turbo Engine yesterday and measured the Jag XK Engine this afternoon. Here's what I found:

Barra dimensions (XK dimensions)

Engine height: 680mm (690mm)

Head length: 800mm (770mm)

Centre of Head to outside of Turbo: 400mm (this looks like it might be close in the Jag engine bay)

Centre of Head to outside of Inlet Manifold: 350mm (heaps of room)

The biggest difference that I can see is the Jag front Crossmember is at the front end of the XK Engine with the deepest part of the Sump at the rear end. The BA Falcon has its Front Crossmember at the mid point of the Barra Engine. To this end, I'd need to modify the Sump and the Oil Pick would need to be moved accordingly. Not the hardest thing in the world.

I didn't have a good chance to look at the Front Engine Mounts in relation to the Front Crossmember, but will probably pop round my mates place tomorrow to work it out.

Looking very promising so far.......

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 5d

380kw will motivate anybody.