Blood Donation

adie

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 3d

Could be that too.

Just thinking about your sister's platelet count Adie...that's bloody frightening. Mine is usually around 330 I think.

• Not pregnant
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 20d

It is frightening.

Its hard too, because she doesnt look sick, and says she doesnt feel sick. In fact the only reason that she looks any different to normal is because of the fluid retention caused by the steroids they've put her on. She keeps insisting shes fine to go to work and the gym - but shes not.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team

They are an impressive bit of gear, but temperamental fckn things. If you move your arm or squeeze when you should be relaxing while it's on a return cycle you're greeted with flashing lights and alarms.

Funnily enough they all have names given to them, and the platelet machines all seem to be females. :unsure:

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 27d

They are an impressive bit of gear, but temperamental fckn things. If you move your arm or squeeze when you should be relaxing while it's on a return cycle you're greeted with flashing lights and alarms.

Funnily enough they all have names given to them, and the platelet machines all seem to be females. :unsure:

Because they suck the blood out of you?

But on a more serious note.. Reinforcing people to donate.. I think people need to get onto this band wagon.. And I think Australia needs to get in line with the rest of the world and make it more worthwhile for people donating blood (as far as I know Europe and USA offer incentives of the $ form for people to donate). My old man currently needs 4 bags of blood (That is the absolute maximum one person can donate per year) every month to keep his white blood cell count up in his fight with cancer.. Unfortunately for him he is O+ which means his donor blood can only be O+ or O-. Donor blood is the difference between him being able to enjoy what time he has left compared to sleeping 90% of the day.. So today he's gotten quite bad and been booked in for blood tomorrow, but only if they can get the blood in from somewhere else in the state.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team

Yeah I think the yanks do pay, but I'm not sure that offering money is a great thing.

They are in the middle of reviewing eligibility though which is long overdue, I.e. the fact that homosexual men are forbidden from donating anything is a bit archaic. I haven't really gotten into the stats but I can't imagine that demographic being at that much higher risk than most of the other free and easy people shagging anyone without protection. :idunno: And everything is tested so thoroughly anyway the chance of an infection slipping through would have to be miniscule.

Unfortunately until most people are affected or someone dear to them is they just don't even consider it. I know I was in that boat myself until I had a friend that was close to the edge that woke me up.