Bf Mkii Won't Start Battery Only New

Troubador1966

• Member For: 10y 11m 14d

Can anyone help out please, my beloved Xr6t is not starting? It did this a couple of weeks ago and I had to leave it overnight at a local servo. Went back late the next day and it started, also last week only this time I persisted by jiggling ignition and pushing auto shift from neutral to park. It took about 10 minutes or so before luckily started. I read a post regarding F6 button not starting and wonder if this is the starter motor??

Fortunately it's in my drive this time!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 10d

Not saying its relavent, but I would still double check your battery, and battery contact areas.

If your alternator is not charging your battery, then your new battery will lose charge very quickly while you drive.

You possibly might get an hours drive out of it, before things start playing up.

Though if the voltage does decrease as you drive, you will notice other tell tale signs, such as your radio swtiching off, you will also notice your ZF will stop shifting gears.

Its at that point time the cars just stalls...

• Member For: 10y 11m 14d

Thanks guys, I have checked the battery connections again, there is nothing at all (not turning over) all instrument lights and command centre appear and I haven't had any trouble with radio turning off or engine cutting off whilst driving recently. I also haven't noticed any of the warning lights being on whilst driving! It gives the normal click when key turned but no turn over?? I have to confess I know zero mechanically but love these cars! I'm thinking I need to get someone to look at it. I was hoping there was an easy fix and thought maybe this could be a common problem?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 21d

I had a similar problem in my BF. Random starting issues, usually when it was hot. It was the the starter motor, it finally died, replaced it, never had another issue.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 11d

What about other earth connections, connections at the starter for being tight. Not just the terminals on the battery.