4Spd Auto Issue (Help)

silverjet

• Member For: 13y 4m 13d

Hi Guys, I need some help here

ok I Have an'03 BA XR6T stock as its the daily hoon/family car . ok heres the issue

I come out in the morning start the car let it warm up. Once warm, pull shifter into reverse and the engine begins misfiring and the engine light comes on. so I shut off the engine . restart it and try again. result vary by the day!! goes in D fine after 2 attempts but reverse is always playing up continuously now and its getting worse this has been happening over the last month. Now I will admit I have not had the box serviced in awhile ( that's slackness on my part,I'll admit it) has anyone experienced this from their BTR 4 spd any ideas?

cheers in advance

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 1d

sounds like box is shagged. when mine went it started flaring on the freeway. then missing. then no reverse- car would just stall when put in reverse.

take battery off for an hour. then try again. might be lucky and just a tuning glitch. doubt it though...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 11d

check your inlet manifold gasket

agreed. I had this problem not to long ago in my 04 xr6t was the inlet manifold gasket on cylinder 1 started out as nothing and got worse

that's a video of my car doing it. if yours is the same its a possibility

• 7 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 4m 13d

Not to dig up an old thread but... there was an out come to this issue after reading this old thread made me wish I'd checked back here the following day after the original post.

cos ratter was right it was the intake manifold gasket it was completely gone around cyl #1 no wonder it was running like poos . so I repaired this and the car has been running flawlessly ever since! better than when I first got it

• Like 1

• Member For: 11y 8m 25d

good to hear mate.

rather then make a new thread does anyone know why when selecting reverse theres a 1-3 second delay in engaging? mines doe it with 3 different gear boxs over the last 2 years (one was a warrenty job)