Electrics Stuffed After Gauge Install

turboBA

• Member For: 11y 3m 14d

Hey guys

A couple days ago I took my car to the auto sparky for a quick install of my gauges, as I decided pulling the ICC out was too stressful for me. they completed the job fairly quick and no worries, but as soon as I left the auto sparky a problem started

Driving along, doesnt matter if im accelerating, cornering or just sitting at the lights, the ICC would just turn off, come up with "security code error" then reset and back to normal with reset clock etc. I took it back to them that afternoon and they pulled it apart and said they couldnt find anything wrong with it and I said I'd wait the weekend.

Here I am on Tuesday, and as driving home yesterday I had two occurrences of the ICC turning completely off, the Ignition turning off (dash lights all turn on like ive just started it and slowly turn off) and roll like that for a good couple of seconds, and to the auto sparky it sounds like im trying to get my BA mk2 manual fixed for a earlier problem for free, but this never happened until they f***** with it.

so, down to the question.. is there anything in the process of pulling the ICC out, and wiring up boost and oil pressure, that they could have loosened anything that would mess with ignition and ICC power? so I have a bit of knowledge for the subject when I take it back in today a bit more upset on the subject.

Thanks heaps guys in advance :)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 30d

Double check that the ICC is pushed in all the way back and that none of the pins on the plug (at the back) are bent or out of place. Other thing is to check that all the plugs in the bottom of the ICC (I think theres 4 from memory) are plugged in.

Happened to me before in my BA

• Member For: 11y 3m 14d

I pulled ICC out just enough to check plugs at bottom of the unit, and gave up after that and put it back in the shop. Been in for a few hours, and have it back now. They wouldn't say specifically what they did, but apparently "all fixed" free of course.

Since it only happens occasionally ill have to wait and see.

Thanks =)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 1d

There is a plug on the back of the ICC which I believe you pull out slightly so that when you reinstall the ICC it firmly connects and then pushes it back to the position it was in. If this isn't done it can touch and make a connection but with bumps etc may loose that connection.

I don't know if this would be what happened to yours but might be, someone else might be able to give a better idea of what I've just said.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 12d

I can't see your location since I'm on my phone, but if you're in melbourne and you are still experiencing issues, I can take a look at it for you.

'Professionals' don't always do the best job possible. Don't get me wrong, some are bloody good at what they do and need to charge more for their services.

However the harsh reality is that time is money and care isn't always taken where necessary. The experienced professional on the other hand always knows that a rushed job can lead to rework which costs them money.