Split Pulse Housing / Manifold

STAINLESS again plz

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 26d

As a guide I did some R&D testing 4 years ago with extractors that I commissioned a 3rd party to build (ETM), the 1st extractors in stock position, with stock turbo, by anyone to my knowledge

Extractors had a splitter to stop the gases interfering with each side.

I watched the first dyno run after the install, with an overlay against the previous dyno run.

Spool was 200-300rpm earlier, but car leaned out ..... this is where you need to be very careful.

Car was then tuned. From memory picked up around 20rwkw up top. Tested with stock motor nizpro stage 2 kit.

Car ran smoother and noticeably cooler. JP300 also tried extractors and got similar results.

Once you go high mount, you can run a much bigger turbo, and good for show.

My Nizpro stage 5 has big turbo, but in low mount position, design theory was to to reduce heat.

Brian

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 14y 10m 11d

I run a split pulse manifold/ (twin scroll) exhaust housing on my sr20 powered S15 running a GT3076 turbo and use dual wastegates, with supporting mods.

In this form it makes around 290rwks's but the beauty of this setup is in the transient response and part throttle response because it spools earlier rather than out and out hp. My bum dyno tells me there is no more lag than the standard setup in the lower rpm, with a very linear power delivery, so its not like a light switch which can happen on smaller displacement motors and bigger turbo's.

IMO these setups are best suited to smaller displacement motors where exhaust pulse energy can be used to the best extent to spool the turbo up earlier. For this reason most production cars now utilise twin scroll tubos in there current crop of production cars - Subura, Mitsubishi, BMW, Mini and the list goes on.

Here's a link to my setup which is on the Full Race Motorsport website in the US (where I sourced my turbo kit). Note that the pics are with my old 3071 setup. and have since swapped to a 3076 (52trim) setup and 3.5inch dump (up from 3 inch dump.

http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo-kits/nissan-sr20det-rwd-twinscroll-gt30r-turbo-package.html

Current setup....3076 (52trim)

ExhaustTurboIACVblock026.jpg

ExhaustTurboIACVblock016.jpg

twin scroll housing and 3.5 inch dump

ExhaustTurboIACVblock014.jpg

showing twin wastegates

ExhaustTurboIACVblock013.jpg

Edited by juggernaut

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 20d

Looks great bloke and to have minimum to nil lag makes for a great ride

And yes some do not like the sledge hammer boost rush

• Member For: 21y 20d

And on your second question about low/high mount, I definately will go out of my way to fabricate a low mount in favour of a high mount in a Ford Falcon. A turbo will melt everything around it, especially your master cylinder. You want to keep that turbo away from your master cylinder. But not only this but also your bonnet. That is why Ford did a low mount.

You can have a high mount with a turbo on the passenger side of the engine (like the sr20) and cop any bonnet paint issues, but a master cylinder melting is a safety issue. Yes you can use shielding but that can only do so much.

Also the exhaust works out much better with a turbo low mount as you don't have that horendous first 90 degree bend and easier to get a 4" in there.

Space is tight but I think you get a better result.

• Member For: 14y 10m 11d

On the question of high or low mount - this will depend on the physical size of the turbo in which case a high mount might be required to package it in the engine bay.

Regarding heat issues I don't see there being much of a heat difference between the mounting positions if you use a tubular exhaust manifold because the most of the heat radiates from the manifold runners themselves moreso than the turbo exhaust housing. In the case of a low mount the tubular exhaust manifold runners will radius up from the flange plate then back down to the low mounted turbo - placing the runners near the bonnet and around other engine bay components anyway. Further, it is far easier to sheild a high mount tubular manifold (runners are place lower in the engin bay) than a low mount tubular manifold runners placed high in the engine bay).

If your using a cast low mount log exhaust manifold then that's another story - they radiate a lot less heat than an aftermarket turbular manifold - but I doubt you would be using a cast log manifold if using a twin scroll turbo setup in your Ford.

I have a turbo beanie on my turbo exhaust housing (which is also ceramic coated inside and out) and you can touch it after it has been running. I have no problems with paint bubbling on the bonnet as yet either - and suspect I never will have.

As I mentioned above the greatest source of heat is from the runners of the tubular exhaust manifold - and its like a furnace.