Fg Ignition Lock Failure

• Member For: 11y 4m 13d

Firstly, great forum. I have been lurking since I bought my i6T in October and soaking up all the excellent info available here. Love the blowoff valve mod...

Yesterday I got in the car and the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. Tried some graphite but no luck.

I called the (NZ) AA, the guy turned up and, before I noticed, sprayed WD40 in the lock but no luck (wtf, seems unprofessional to use a "wet" lubricant?).

I had the car towed to my Ford dealer this morning and they tell me they need to replace the entire steering column (minus steering wheel and AB). The cost, $900NZD. What's the bet a 20 cent spring or pin has failed?

Apart from Ford Focus owners who have to put up with this crap, anybody else had this issue with their Falcon and why the hell can't ford replace just the bloody ignition barrel?

I have warned Ford that once it's repaired to park my car on the street outside otherwise I will happily waste a set of rear tyres on their forecourt when I leave.

Cheers,

Mike

• Member For: 17y 10m 2d

quite common in the B series and territories, but have not seen a FG with ignition lock problems yet, the price given is actually quite cheap compared to some of the columns.

Why get shirty at the dealer?

• Member For: 11y 4m 13d

I'll admit it is a little unreasonable to take it out on the independent dealer, that's why I've suggested they park her on the street - so I'm
not tempted

I'd heard a few BA's had the issue so it was interesting to hear the dealer ordering a BA column for my FG this morning. Same part# I guess?

$900 kiwi dollars to fix a sticking ignition spring/tumbler by replacing the entire steering column, wtf.
Incidentally, as you say, the price is "cheap" - but they are fitting a used column with a 3 month guarantee so I have my fingers crossed it doesn't fail too.
A new column is around $2000 plus $400 to fit.

My dad bought the car new, an early build, June 08 and almost surprisingly, there have never been any issues with it. I bought it off his estate when he died and it's been fantastic up until now.
I feel ripped off for fixing what should be a very simple issue in any make of car.

Edited by farkdiffikno