Turbo Spooling Is No Longer Smooth

robtek

• Member For: 11y 7m 22d

Hi Guys,

Over the last couple months feels like it's lost a bit of power, and recently the boost is leaking somewhere, as when the turbo is spooling up, the boost is no longer smooth, but instead choppy, I.e. cuts in and out

Checked the air intakes for the turbo etc and the air hoses and all still looks fine and well attached.

Heard it might be the turbo housing? needs to be tightened again or something?

Setup:

2003 BA XR6T

125K clicks on it

Running 13psi with xcal

Monza cooler

Flutter BOV

Manual T5

Cheers

Big Rob

Am I on the right track?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 29d

How do you know the boost is leaking. A boost leak doesn't usually cut in and out. Make sure you get a boost gauge to check.

I'd say problem is plugs or coils or a blocked cat.

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 14d

Hey Robtek,

Paulie is on the money I'd say. Could be a combination of TPS issues/Dirty TB with Coils/cat.

Could even have something to do with Fuel filter or fouled plugs.

Is it always running poorly or only on boost? What's the car like at idle? Has it always done it while running the tune?

If it feels like it 'breaks down' during boost then it's most probably your coils...

Best thing to do is either get it diagnosed properly, or mark off one thing at a time (usually the cheapest first) and see if that helps. I'd also do the boost solenoid when you get it sorted as that will bring back that 'spooly' feeling.

Regarding the turbo housing comment; Yes, you do need to tighten the turbo bolts at every service as they have a horrible habit of coming loose...

Good luck mate,

Dan

• Member For: 11y 7m 22d

Thanks for the comments guys,

> Yeah the other night while idling the car stalled as the idle was fluctuating, but this is no longer occuring, only the other night

> The car always ran fine with the 13psi tune

> I've owned it since October and haven't cleaned the TB etc since owning it, needs a service

> It only happens after 3000rpm

> Guy before me used to always run the 10psi tune, but as I said, I've been running 13psi since October without problems, always use 98 fuel

Reminds me of a time with the old blown L67 VTS, kept cutting out and cost me $800 and about a month of changing coils, plugs, plug gaps, leads, cleaning everything in the intake, injectors cleaned, fuel pump etc, and it turned out the problem was not using "genuine leads" which had a metal casing between the plugs and the extractors, obviously the metal casing was helping to sheild the spark somehow..

A Mate of mine said he had exact same issue and turned out to be turbo housing so just wanted to throw it out there.. hope it's not the cat, blown out a few in my time in previous cars, cbf upgrading exhaust just yet.. mortgage :)

Looks like I'll try:

1. service, oil, oil filter, fuel filter

2. clean out TB, air filter etc

3. change the plugs

4. change the leads

5. change coil pack

6. sell the car (jk :roulette: )

I've got an X3 Edit flash tuner, would any error codes show up for this type of problem to help diagnose?

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 23d

Sounds like someone with some diagnosis skills needs to look at it, otherwise you may spend more time and money than if you had taken it to someone who knows what they are doing. P.s. ba onwards do not have ignition leads