JETURBO

Jet's Tuning (Oh No)

Hi JET,

congratulations on taking the course.

I have been installing and tuning standalone efi systems for over 15 years, one thing you must remember is "YOU NEVER STOP LEARNING".

This type of work to me isn't a job, it's my passion.

As for learning with Autronic SM4 ecu's, I have used all Autronic ECU's for many years.

When you get into using the Auto-Tune function and Maths Key tuning from Data Logs, I am sure you will smile.

Let the software do the work for you.

All tuning software is only as good as the operator, grasp a full understanding of the software you wish to use.

Ask as many questions as possible, when given an answer, don't be affraid to ask to explain it again if you don't get a grip on it.

You can be assured there will be others in the class that don't get it either.

Well done, good luck.

Regards

Dave.

Thanks for the kind words dave , iam super excited about this as I have a complete intrest in it aswell and really want to learn about EVERYTHING now but its going to take a wile I can see

Best part about going back to school is its finally something I want to do, not something I have to do

Smiles all round

To me that's far to general. I would prefer the tuner has the knock box rigged up and will have as much of a play around as they need to get the tune "safe"

Doing runs under different ramp rates and even driving around on the street with the knock box are things can tell you a much different story than "she'll be right mate, we will just keep it below 9 degrees"

You honestly think that they tune a car without knock detection ?

Cheers

You honestly think that they tune a car without knock detection ?Cheers

If they know when it would knock then why bother using knock detection.

I am sure everyone on here knows of tunes on these and LS motors being done with the knock detection on the vehicle turned off. Oh the forgies rattle too much, don't worry mate just turn the knock sensor down until it stops pulling timing. Even on stock motors this happens.

Another quick one for you. You quoted The tuner had done 100's of xr6t's and could be confident of when a car with your mods would ping yeah?

Did they factor in the 10% extra flow from your ported and polished crossover and intake manifold?

Hey, his tuner was probably black, enuff said.

Having a black tuner means that on the dyno the heat dissipation from the vehicle was so much better than say a white tuner, or even better, a tuner with silver hair! If a silver fox had tuned his car the amount of heat absorbed by the tuner may have seen him spontaneously combust. Pinging and knocking, pfffft who is concerned with that when getting rid of the heat is the main priority. THAT is a safe tune.

Every tuner I have known puts the engine under slight knock condition then winds it back, ramps it up to see if its knocks under load repeats the process, if you don't know the max timing etc it will take your basically throwing power out the window.

Edited by spinr33

Popular thread this one! I wish the students I deal with could be as ENTHUISIASTIC as J@SNOT. Go for it and let us know how it progresses.

http://www.tafesa.edu.au/xml/course/sc/sc_T797311303.aspx

IS that the course?

I've been tuning my own cars (Liberty GT & Legnum VR4) for the last 3 years approx based entirely on road tuning, but would like to get a bit more theory behind what I've been doing and understand dyno setups.

Thinking I'm going to enroll in this :)

Yeh its its like that BRK

Everyone else is paid to be there, where as I paid to be there so the intrest levels are high, talk about making the teacher earn his money with me because I kept the questions going

Best part is the lecturer has a massive intrest in motorsport and tuning so hes more excited than me lol

Back when I did my electrical trade school I was completely not intrested and treated it like "work"

This is the total oppisite and cant wait for next wednesday, were kicking off with timing and spark table theory

Edited by J@SNOT

In short what are u using for tuning toads

Just laptop,cable,hp software and wideband ?

Fill me in and if u got links to hardware that would help

Ok worked it out no dramas, is there anything u can advise me of in regards to additional things I should get straight away ?

Can u explain the credits situation better, is unlimited for per car or just per "type/model" car ?

I use SCT AdvantageIII mostly. I have HP but don't really use it.

I use SCT live link a lot for data logging. I have a few widebands but mostly use an LM-2 for convenience and have it connected to a external MAP sensor input (live link will only read to ~22.7psi at my altitude with the stock MAP sensor). The analog cable also has a mini din and FireWire cable grafted in for AFR logging to livelink. This is good for street tuning, but a dyno (and the bells and whistles they have tese das) is great for safe / repeatable WOT tuning.

Fook really, might have to get the dodgy on

Other than the obvious benifits for av3 with the xcal 3 and having zf tuning capibilities did u find the hp stuff user friendly and supportive enough for the medium end user ?

HP is easy as to use...very user friendly. I have never needed any support as Wiggum uses HP a lot and it always hitting them up for improvements. He alone has driven a number of improvements.

The credits in Hp tuners is vin locked you buy a certain number of credits to tune 1 car or you can buy another license to tune as many as you like of one specific vehicle/model type.

In your case just buy the credits to tune 1 car and you can retune play with it as much as you like further down the track you could purchase more credits to tune additional cars or purchase a license to tune one specific vehicle/model type.

Edited by spinr33

jet your starting to sound smart in this thread!

you have changed man

nah still fick as chit dont worry

cheers spinr

I will let you tune me. (something you say to a chick)

When you get good.

You fly to WA though.

I buy dinner for you then what ever happens happens. (something else you say to a chick)