Ba Rear Wheel Bearings

jas98

• Member For: 11y 8m 6d

well im going to replace me rear wheel bearings as they have never been done and its done 230 000k's

I have a ba xr6t sedan. have genuine bearigs and 1 spare genuine hub (just in case)

my questions are, I have access to a 6 tonn press, should this be enough? providing there not ceased in there.

pressing old one out, whats the best way to remove support the hub assembly?

also I remove the hub first? as in I dont remove the whole shaft/hub/hub unit as an assembly?

any help or links to others doing it would help. I have been quoted 2-$400 to do it and waiting on what ford says, and about 90 bucks for a work shop to press bearings in and out. I like to do this sort of stuff, orked on cars all me life.

cheers

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300860513349&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

would this be big enough to remove hub? I have a 2 jaw puller that fits but im worried it will damage the hub? or would it be ok

does this sound correct. I confirmed it 3 times and they said yes. FOR ford to change both rear wheel bearings on my ba xr6t it is $125 per side.....so $250 all up. (labour only)

is ford getting desperate? im was expecting about 4-500 at least. Do they have a special tool to do it quick?

cheers

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 5d

Got my rears done by Ford a few months ago. Labour was way more than what you said, almost double I think? They then crapped themselves again after a month, turns out the stub axle was cracked.

They couldn't source a new stub axle even over east, and the part was $1400 or some stupid price. I ended up getting an entire knuckle from a wreckers nearby for like $300 which was fitted instead. I paid more on top for them to remove and clean the used "stub axle" from the used knuckle. They warranted the bearings luckily, maybe they didn't spot the failed stub axle first time around.

Broken stub axle

2012-09-06174217edit-1.jpg

also what symptoms did you have? im getting a whooop whoop in the rear left every rotation when driveing at walking pace, not loud but noticeable. als when braking you can hear it the worst and feel it bunny hop. mostly loudest in the wet

cheers

Edited by jas98

• Donating Members

Rear left bearing was gone, first noises noticed were similar to that, I'd say more of a wub wub wub sound as I turned right.

When the replacement failed it was high pitched squealing when driving along, thought the brakes were stuck on or something!

Both cases jacking car up and wobbling the wheel showed it plain as day.

About 175,666km on the car at that stage according to my pictures. Front right went at 100,000ish. In both cases I had them change both sides at once for peace of mind of course.

Edited by -SteveR-

• Donating Members

Yeah probably tied to wheel revolutions, didn't notice braking having an effect, though the corner I recall hearing it on was one I just coast around with no brakes usually.