G6Et First Tune

Stigmata

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 2m 15d

Hi Everyone

Im new to the forum and just thought I would share results of the first round mods for my G6. I bought the 08 G6ET just over a month ago with 90000km as a nice everyday drive car.

My first mods were to fit a PWR stepped core, I then made my own 2.5" alloy piping to replace that plastic mess. I also fitted a K7N RE0870 air filter and made a custom air box. I looked at the intake muffler but didnt think it posed much of a restriction.

First impression after this work was it made quite a big difference to low down torque and throttle response. I didnt give it too much though as I hadnt put the wide band on to check AFR's. I did note however that my fuel economy improved by around 2.5L per 100km, cold air works wonders.

I then stole some FG F6 injecteors out of my EB turbo I was using until the EB was run in. I fitted a 100cell 5" barrel cat and downloaded the base tune I got from Simon at Morpowa. Couldnt belive how much stronger it felt with minimal throttle. Drove it out to Simon and first run it pulled 300.2rwkw, not bad I though with a fairly fat AFR. Trimmed some fuel out, a bit more timing and we got a best of 323rwkw and around 890nm (corrected) by 2900rpm. Boost was peaking at 17psi for a second but then dropping to 14/15. Possibly due to having a standard dump and soggy accuator?

Cant belive how strong the FG pulls with minimal mods. It has no problems getting skatey 1st 2nd 3rd with traction on at half throttle? What the??!! Traction off is a waste of time. My last car was a VY SS I turboed, it made just shy of 400rwkw, the G6 is such a nicer stronger streeter.

Anyway a big thanks to everyone on the forum for all the valuable information you have donated :)

Kind regards Jon

post-55579-0-10703900-1360747744_thumb.j

• Like 5

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Time for some better tyres to make use of the increase! The torque feeling is something else hey, would be snappier on the smaller FG turbo too!

• Donating Members

Thanks guys, yep love that 35/76. Will get my tailshaft done and take it to the next street meet with some slicks and see what we get. I have a 35/82 in the shed I am going to steal the exhaust housing and port the gate/ fit bigger flapper so I can run a 4" dump. The waste gate solenoid is at 100% duty cycle and we cant get any more boost, hopefully the 4" dump will help with this. Think I might go the GTX 35/76 as I looooove how quick the smaller comp spools. My EB has a rather large snail on it (master power R656) and it lags lots, although very fun once boost comes on LOL

Will try n post some pics tonoght of the pipework with bar off :)

Kind regards Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

Hi Guys, a bit late I know, heres s pic of the bar off with the pipes I made up. Also a small pic of my turbo EB :)

I have noticed though that the power delivery of the G6 has slowly started to taper off for some reason. I thought I may have been getting used to the power but its starting to struggle letting the tyres go in 2nd, where as before it would fry them with minimal throttle. I will have to find some time to do some data logging of the boost, I thinks its getting a bit soggy. The OEM 35/76 is getting a bit more than avarage axial play and is starting to make some funky bearing noises. I have been giving it a lot of thought and I think I will go down the GTX35/82 path now instead of the GTX35/76.

Is anyone running the GTX35/76? Thoughts?

I will start making my own battery relocation and getting it all ready. Thinking also of some high flowed Nizpro injectors, anyone using them? Otherwise I will go for some ID1000.

Hopefully have it all sorted with the new snail in a couple of months. I have to get some more work done on the house first to appease the minister of war and finance LOL

Take care everone

Kind regards Jon

post-55579-0-63977900-1361669666_thumb.j

post-55579-0-82040300-1361669674_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Thanks guys, my thoughts on the high flow injectors aswell. It looks like ID1000 units then. I have had problems in the past with getting a good idle with 80lb Siemens.

Will def go the GTX35/82 and full exhaust. Think I will fab my own 3.5" system. I have seen well over 550rwkw made through a single 3.5" before so it should be fine.

Yes the Eb xr6 turbo is a nice car, too scared to drive it these days as it seems to attract a lot of attention, especially with its cam. Sounds a bit grumpy. It makes the G6 seem a bit underpowerd LOL. My mrs is wanting me to sell it, as it just sits there. Was going to do a powerglide for it. Currently runs expendable T5 boxes. Heres a pic of the R656 and merged turbo manifold I made on a dummy AU engine, I was running a 44mm Tial gate but had over boost issues. Now running a 60mm Turbosmart power gate and revised outlet with Eboost street. I should pull it all off a put it on the G6 LOL

Thanks again for your advice men

Kind regards Jon

post-55579-0-72634700-1361684898_thumb.j

post-55579-0-04889200-1361685595_thumb.j

Edited by Stigmata
  • Like 4

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Hey mate welcome

Simon is very good tuner and iam sure ull be right with what he directs u on mods wise

• Like 1