Turbo Issues

Flemo23

• Member For: 11y 5m 16d

hi every one

I had my xr50 turbo ute for about 4 months. I think the bearings in my turbo are shot it makes a rattling noise when I turn it off is this common. the only work I have had done is alloy cooler pipes, dump pipe, cat, exhaust, 12 psi actuator and tune it runs 16 pis is this the cause of dead turbo. also the car is still under warranty do you think that they will still cover my turbo with work done.

cheers michael

• Member For: 20y 8m 18d

Michael,

Sounds like your turbo is definately in need of a rebuild. You need to make the choice to either keep running it or pull it out and rebuild it. I had a noisey turbo in my FG XR for 18 months without any catasrophic failure before selling it.

Benny.

Edited by Benny

• Member For: 20y 8m 18d

I changed my oil every 5000 and still suffered a bearing issue. I attempted to make a claim but it was denied as I expected. As the saying goes 'you play you pay'.

There are a few places around that can rebuild them like MTQ and GCG. If not then as suggested above you could go to a bigger turbo and get retuned.

Benny.

• Member For: 11y 5m 16d

I'm thinking it might be a blocked oil line to turbo because there is no signes of wear around the blade and there is not a lot of play. I still might try for warranty the guy that tuned it knows the service manager at the local ford dealer. For now I'm just going to pull the oil line off and see if its blocked.

• Like 1