Fpv Start Button Broken, Convert Back To Ignition Key Start

FRE4K

• Member For: 15y 9m 9d

Hey guys to cut a long story short my start button broke on my bf f6 and I have replaced it with another one, but that button doesnt work, and I am hot wiring my car at the moment, just wondering does anyone know exactly what to do to convert it back to the ignition? so I can start my car with the key till I get it all sorted out.

any help would be greatly appreachiated

cheers

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 28d

There is a post on the site somewhere and that's where I got this info from, so credit to original poster.

If you have fg mk2 it wont work as the "start" part of the ignition barrel is disabled.

To disable the button, all you have to do is remove the steering column cover under your steering wheel. There are 3 phillips head screws holding it in, and it will unclip from the top section with a gentle pull.

If you stick your head underneath you will see where the wiring harness connects to the back of the ignition barrel - its a male white connector - just unplug it.

Also, there is another white connection there - male into female, both white - unplug them as well. Take THAT male connector and plug it into your ignition barrel and you're all done, just whack your column cover back in. It's up to you if you want to remove the whole start button setup or leave it in case you want to hook it up again later.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

From memory when I got the info it was for ba/f, could be wrong though.

I cant see why they would be different, surely fpv just adds the start button harness into the existing ford wireing :dontknow:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 11y 1m

There is a post on the site somewhere and that's where I got this info from, so credit to original poster. If you have fg mk2 it wont work as the "start" part of the ignition barrel is disabled. To disable the button, all you have to do is remove the steering column cover under your steering wheel. There are 3 phillips head screws holding it in, and it will unclip from the top section with a gentle pull. If you stick your head underneath you will see where the wiring harness connects to the back of the ignition barrel - its a male white connector - just unplug it. Also, there is another white connection there - male into female, both white - unplug them as well. Take THAT male connector and plug it into your ignition barrel and you're all done, just whack your column cover back in. It's up to you if you want to remove the whole start button setup or leave it in case you want to hook it up again later.

I've had a bit of a look too on my BA II F6, but not had any luck in pin pointing the required connectors. After removing the double width plug (16 pin, female) that's connected to the ignition barrel, I am not certain which plugs need to be placed back in the socket. Is the the one which connects to the start button or is the button still required to be connected or does it tie into the ignition barrel wiring? I only ask as the female end of the starter button is cable tied and hence won't reach. I do know the instructions say that a the male end should go into the barrel wiring, but I am not sure if that's correct as the plug that released for me is The There's also one other single width plug that connects to an unknown plug (to me at least) that appears to be associated with the ignition wiring and it fits into the barrel plug if you place it half way...

One thing of note here though is that if I place the single width (8 pin) plug into the barrel wiring, the dash does not light up and obviously no ignition occurs... Finally, there is another 8 pin female connector up near the back of the barrel, but it is in the harness, so I would need to cut the harness to run it down to the plug...

Perhaps I'll take some pics this afternoon and upload them. Hopefully that at least makes some sense though in the meantime...

EDIT - fixed some baaaad writing, not sure if it's much better to be honest :maninlove:

Edited by Exceeder

• Donating Members

As bionic said above BA/F are different to FG and the info I gave is for FG.

Sorry for any confusion, I have only owned FG's and didn't think there would be any difference :headbang2:

Probably best to take it to an auto lecky or get another button.

Think I read on here that FTG Auto Salvage do an aftermarket button for Ba/f :dontknow:

• Member For: 11y 1m

Ahh, my bad - I must have misread the previous comments. Not to worry though, got it all sorted in the mean time, but it was a slight pain in the rear tracing it all! :sungum:

EDIT:

The wire you are looking for (on BA II at least) is the blue/red striped one on the starter button 4 pin plug and connecting it to the free port on the ignition barrel wiring. I ended up using terminals to join the two together as the wiring was too short and also meant that I didn't have to cut anything, as well as pulling out the male end in the ignition barrel wiring and connecting it out of the harness. This also means that I can just revert it when I get around to installing a replacement button.

I am also obviosuly not accepting any responsibility for any damage or wrongdoing on anyone's behalf in attempting this workaround! :maninlove:

Edited by Exceeder