Montoring Trans Temp With Iphone

crazyxa

• 2 months later...
  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d

Time to revive this topic! 😂

I bought a bluetooth obd reader from Jaycar a while ago and it works fine, it just wouldn't connect to my kayhan head unit. They gave me one for free that will work - winning!

Its basically one of these:

mini elm327

Image result for mini elm327

First of all, it appears to be wayyyyy faster than the one I got from jaycar. It works on the head unit and my phone (s8). 

The only issue I'm having is that the trans temp will not read any more. I have tried on both the head unit and my phone and I'm getting "no response". This worked with the previous reader too which is really odd.

Using PID 221674, OBD Header is TCM, and equation is ((A*256)+B)/8. No settings have changed between the different readers hence my confusion.

Anyone have any ideas? 

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

Update:

It didn't work 😢

Tried the older one to confirm and that one reads trans temp. Not sure what it is with this mini reader. Possibly faulty or is this some feature you'd usually pay more for?

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

So I was doing a little bit of digging, by the looks of things not all ELM327 readers are capable of receiving stuff from the TCM which is where the trans temp request is sent to. Talking to kayhan audio at the moment about to get more info on it 

• Like 1

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 12d

Correct, not all ELM readers display Trans Temp

Mate of mine had the same issue and I spent an hour trying things and couldn't get it working.

I had a spare in the car that I wasn't using, plugged it in and bam everything worked as expected.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members

I have confirmed this using Ebay 😂

Some readers will specifically say they support "TCM" in the list of supported protocols.

Kayhan Audio's rebranded reader is the only one that will work with their head units. Typical marketing BS!

They do however support USB... So I'm gonna buy a USB OBD reader, stick it into the head unit and see if it works. If it does then hallelujah, a way to break their system!

Looks like the ones on ebay that say something along the lines of "OBD2 for Ford" has the TCM protocol. Go figure right. 

Its annoying though, the reader from Jaycar supports all protocols (TCM included) but cannot read as fast as the Kayhan Audio rebranded one. And I NEED trans temp because she's been sitting around 100°C+ when sitting in really slow traffic and I want to see how hot its getting, also found a small kink in the oil line to the cooler that was installed so will probs take it back and ask to get that fixed. Time to put a fan on the trans cooler too I think.

On a side note, I see forscan (check out their release notes on the site) now has an android (and IOS I believe) app! Anyone taken a look at this yet? I wanna get it but its $9.50, and I bought torque pro. So if its not any better than that I see no point in switching

• Like 1