Steering Feel And Rack Travel.

--Jase--

• Member For: 11y 6m 27d

SO my questions are..

Firstly and most importantly. I want/need more travel form my steering rack..

Usually this is achieved by adding a spacer between the rack end and the rack that allows the rack to travel farther befor hitting the rack end that limits it's travel.

Has any one experimented with spacers and if so. How much extra travel is available befor running into rack seal issues..

Second question..

Can I adjust the level of power steering assist..?

I want it to be a little lighter..

Not much of a fan of the falcon steering.. its weighted and vauge..

Jase.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 21d

Why would you do this? Spacing the rack ends out is relatively pointless if you ask me, you will only need to wind the rack ends into the tie rod ends to regain your Toe settings.

Are you trying to drift your falcon?

You will probably find more steering response from changing the front lower and upper control arm bushes with polyurethane units. The weight in the steering is a good thing considering how heavy the falcons are, if the steering was too light it would hide even more feedback.

Changing the alignment settings can make a difference to your steering response too - zero toe or even 0.5mm toe out can make the car pointy, but it will eat your tyres faster. Increasing caster will give you more stability and accuracy at higher speeds too...

After all that we can change and add to the falcon, it is still a family car that is designed for touring, not being a lightweight and flitting through mountain touge runs delivering tofu.... The guys on the 2012 Snowies cruise will tell you that falcons still go round corners pretty quick though!

Why would you do this? Spacing the rack ends out is relatively pointless if you ask me, you will only need to wind the rack ends into the tie rod ends to regain your Toe settings.

This is true. But It will give me more rack travel and steering angle.

Are you trying to drift your falcon?

I would like to yes.

You will probably find more steering response from changing the front lower and upper control arm bushes with polyurethane units. The weight in the steering is a good thing considering how heavy the falcons are, if the steering was too light it would hide even more feedback.

I plan to change all the bushes very soon.. And I disagree with the weight of the steering. I much prefer it to be slightly lighter.

Changing the alignment settings can make a difference to your steering response too - zero toe or even 0.5mm toe out can make the car pointy, but it will eat your tyres faster. Increasing caster will give you more stability and accuracy at higher speeds too...\

Alignment is currently zero. with factory caster.. Will go for more castor when I do the bushes

After all that we can change and add to the falcon, it is still a family car that is designed for touring, not being a lightweight and flitting through mountain touge runs delivering tofu.... The guys on the 2012 Snowies cruise will tell you that falcons still go round corners pretty quick though!

I agree that its a fat heavy car.. Doesn't mean it has to steer like one though.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

From experience, I think you will need to do something with the knuckles if you want to increase the steering angle. The rack ends are already inverted after minimal lowering so if you crank the hub over further there is a good chance the rack will bind.

I agree with making the falcons handle well - I've spent almost five years playing with the setup on my car, it turns pretty well for a heavy boat...

I would like to modify the knuckles also..

But I figured that was a little bit beyond this forum..

Not sure if 90% of the ppl here would understand rack spacers let alone modified steering knukles.

But if some one has access to some uprights for a resonable amount I'd be happy to buy them..

Knuckle mods are buy far the best for steering feel and senistivity.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

You know they are cast alloy right? You can't really modify, rather you would need to make your own version...

I'd start with the bushes and alignment changes then go from there...

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members

Yeahhhhhh, but what I'm saying is that you should take a look and get yourself familiar with the front end, having the rack behind the axle line doesn't lend itself well to what you want to do :spoton:

While I admit I haven't sat there and had a super hard long look at it.. I am more than familiar with what it takes to get a rear mounted steering rack to work extremely well..

But back to my original questions..

Has any one tried using rack spacers. ?? And what was the ooutcome.

And how do I adjust the steering assist.?

This is a car I set up for a friend.

Has over 50* steering angle. As you can see from the picture almost perfectly flat contact patch on both tires.

And is amazing to drive so I'm told.. Vastly improved over the old setup..

.302800_10152346284710691_1460975919_n.jp