Ba Mk2 Xr6T Clunks

skidxr6t

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m

Hey just bought a 2004 BA MK2 XR6 turbo the other day, in reasonable condition, etc. Never owned or driven one (before I testdrove some) and I gotta say, I much prefer it over the Expensive Daewoo SS.

Ill get to the point of my post hah, some clunks are happening in the drivetrain such as when changing gears sometimes it will give us a clunk but more noticeably when you decelerate sometimes you get this clunk from the back (and I suck at describing things) but basically I described it to a friend and he mentioned it would be the rear diff bushes that cause that. It was far smoother during the testdrive in which I gave it a bootful.

With the gearbox, if I have got a clunk in that as well, what am I looking at in terms of a repair bill, or maybe more specifically what would need to be done? Engaging drive gear is alright but going into reverse gear you can go make yourself a f*cking cup of tea before it engages sometimes.

The car runs alright, I was expecting it to be easier to smoke the back tyres from a standstill but maybe I just need to learn what I'm doing with that sorta thing first, already had it sideways nicely though so I'm happy and the performance is good, it defiantly gets to 100km/h around factory spec and pulls hard like no other car when I go up a big hill.

Completely stock standard too, no evidence that it has been modified at all, however gasket cement sorta oozing out abit (dry of course) from the red top of the motor (cylinder head cover?) tells me it might be possible that at least the top end has been looked at/modified.

Cheers,

John.

Edited by johnxr6t

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 23d

clunking from the rear is probably diff bushes. With the 4 speed auto get it a service ASAP. I had a BA MK11 turbo auto and the box went straight into reverse it was one of the things I checked before buying it, but my old BA ute developed the delay before engaging reverse and thankfully it was still under warranty as ford replaced it as it was shot at 35000km...

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 17d

First thing I did when I got my BA was diff bushes. Stay away from nolathane. I like the rubber bushes. The centre tail shaft bush is probably flogged too if the diff ones are gone. Where are you located? I took mine to Tune house right after buying and they identified the items I needed to fix up front. Money well spent.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 6m 22d

As mentioned, replace your main (centre) diff to cradle bush and the pinion (front) bushes. This should get rid of the clunk.. Super pro is a better option than Nolathane and if you don't mind a small inscrease in NVH, get the performance/heavy duty ones rather than the comfort series.. they will last longer and future proof the car incase you plan to extract more power.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 7d

Yeah a BA will be clunky as hell, they are getting very old take it to someone that wont talk sh*t and get them to check all the bushes.. I replaced my diff bushes with standard bushes and they are shot already, next ill be getting superpro ones.. I already done the main bushes in the front end at that helped massively too..

• skids
  • Donating Members

Hey thanks alot for your replies guys. I am happy to an extent to have paid more to go to a dealer - firstly being the ones for 2-3k cheaper that I looked at needed about that spent on it but secondly I have a warranty that should cover something. I doubt it'd be easy to flog bushes 2 days and 500km into owning a car!

It is very quick - I cleaned the boost solanoid valve and plan on replacing this part (I doubt it was ever serviced for 130,000kms) I also plan on cleaning the throttle body.

I nearly died when this forum was being updated last night I was reading through some guides haha, this forum is excellent because it seems to have awesome members here who are happy to help strangers.

I'm over in perth btw, I also would love to know who can tune this car for me, after I iron out the clunk issue and a few other smaller problems.

Is there anything else you guys would recommend to do to this car? In terms of things such as how I plan to clean the throttle body,etc.

In the next month or so my plans are:

New auto transmission fluid

Turbo return lines (or whatever they are called?)

a new boost solanoid valve

K&N air filter

some high quality spark plugs

new 17" tyres (maybe rims too - standard xr6 rims on currently).

maybe take spoiler off? (still thinking).

sort out the issues with the bushes (and get car fully inspected so I can screw dealer and claim it all on warranty - I was advised to get an xr6t with warranty :P)

Incase you cannot see - I wish to get this car running close to mechanically A1 as possible before any tune , exhaust, intake, valve springs get changed :P

Edited by johnxr6t

• skids
  • Donating Members

Uh-Oh! this is how I found this rubber flange/thingy on the throttle body! It has a piece chipped off inside and has simply been taped together really well by somebody. I had to retape it as I could not find anywhere selling the part today! I will hopefully get this nipped in the bud tomorrow!

post-54947-0-75126500-1357041560_thumb.j