Rough Idle - Have Tried Just About Everything - Stumped!

NickBA-XR6T

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 28d

Don't regap the plugs. What Jet's talking about can happen under load with cars running a higher boost level. Your issue is at idle so the gap won't be a problem.

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 18d

Dumb question, how did you torque your spark plugs?

No offence intended but seen many people crack them before from over tightening. Then refuse to replace them because they are 'new'

Food for thought.

• Member For: 11y 9m

hold your foot flat to the floor and click the key to start for 2 seconds approx ( it wont start but will crank ) then switch key back to off then foot off then start it as per normal

what does this do? ive been told it does nothing at all

also another thing I did on mine yesterday was check all boost lines and I found the boost pipe under turbo that leads to turbo from intercooler I could do the clamp up about 6-8 turns. im pretty sure it helped allot with mine also found loose spark plugs on mine aswell...

Edited by jas98

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 18d

I doubt that would make any difference to idle as its under vacuum so anything leaking before the map sensor shouldn't affect idle.

When you checked for vacuum leaks did you check the brake booster. That often gets overlooked for slight air leaks.

I've had a car before we're the brakes still felt okay but the booster had an air leak causing sh*t idle.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 12d

OK so today I ripped the whole thing apart. Tightened everything. Found a dodgy rubber joiner on the turbo inlet and replaced that with a blue silicone joiner. Tightened the upper inlet manifold bolts I could get to. Exhaust manifold bolts are OK. Tightened the turbo nuts. Tightened the spark plus 2 were on the soft side. Checked all hoses. Idles quite a bit better now. Not perfect but better.

• Member For: 11y 9m
I doubt that would make any difference to idle as its under vacuum so anything leaking before the map sensor shouldn't affect idle.

When you checked for vacuum leaks did you check the brake booster. That often gets overlooked for slight air leaks.

I've had a car before we're the brakes still felt okay but the booster had an air leak causing sh*t idle.

hmm been thinking this with mine as not a miss just bad vibration cause of a bad idle. it idles round 700rpm even lower sometimes. but when take foot off brake and go (from lights ) if fine. or when reved slightly it fine

what the best way to check booster?? foot off brake in drive? hand break on?