Xr6T Ba Mkii Transmission Rebuild (+ More?)

xb99

• Member For: 16y 3m

Hi

Setting the scene:

I've got a XR6T BA MK2 I've had since 01/08, bought second hand with 37,000 on the clock, now has 70,600. Its been served by a Ford dealer its whole life but I swapped to KPM a few years back. It's well looked after. Have a Alpine stereo (with Type S speakers to match) since the factory premium sound started skipping, and a typhoon air intake.

Problem:

The diff clunk has been getting worse the last year or so, and in first gear it sounds like a ufo, it has a weird whine. I also thought I saw a bit of white smoke in my rear view last time I gunned it from stand still.

The recent service report wasn't pretty, clunk is caused by transmission, which probably needs a rebuild, and the smoke was probably caused by the turbo which is showing signs of leakage and will likely need a rebuild down the road a little further :(

Solution 1:

My initial reaction was to head to car yards, buy a 2011 FG T with low km's and be done with it. After driving a couple, and looking at the change over cost, I've decided I'd rather keep my current one for a few more years (its still my baby!)

Solution 2:

Get the trans rebuilt (4 spd auto), wait and see with the turbo. I know an honest transmission workshop, who I'm going to see in a couple days. Assuming it has be to rebuilt, I'm thinking I should get it strengthened. I'm not really sure what to ask for though?! Is there anything else I should ask for? I've always thought the 4spd is sluggish when accelerating, anything they can do there?

I've been holding off on getting an edit done for the last couple of years because I didn't like the sound of the diff clunk. Its quite likely I'll get a basic edit done once the trans is done. Nothing crazy. With the car getting older, I've heard I'll probably have to get the valve springs replaced at the same time, does that sound right? If that has to be done, I should get the injectors done at the same time?

I'm guessing an edit will bring on the turbos demise sooner ... oh well ... :devil:

Thanks for any input!

Edited by xb99

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 13d

Seeing as you are an Adelaide boy, I'd recommend you see Sam, at SA Race Transmissions and Differentials.

Address: 16 Dundee Avenue, Expensive Daewoo Hill SA 5088

Phone:(08) 8266 1688

He rebuilt my box back in 2004 when I modded my ute (300+ rwkw)

He knows what's required, and can do both your trans and diff at same time.

ciao

tom

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 15d

edit??? this isnr Late model camira land lol... if u get a tune dine for a bit better economy and a bit more power then your clunk may gt worse... as far as valve springs etc ... how long is a piece of string lol.. they only seem to have major issues when pushing a fair amount of power after u do injectors etc.. your question depends on howmuch power u wanna make...

ps... go to heinrich performance and tuning in Adelaide and he will tune your car to your limit etc.. also does servicing etc... pretty much everyone on here in S.A. uses him

Edited by Princess Fluffy

• Member For: 16y 3m

Sweet, thanks for the info.

Got the trans booked in already, sticking with the guy I know, he seemed pretty knowledgable about the 4speed BTR, and spent ages explaining its workings to me. Trans cooler going in at same time.

That just leaves the turbo and tune. Does Heinrich rebuild turbos? If not, anyone have recommendations in adelaide? I'll just get the standard rebuilt, I dont play in exceeding 300rwkw...