Difference Between Bf And Ba

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ciaran = wrong this time No real proof mate, but 06/06 was the date. Some get different brakes from factory so not even bunny or bionic could say that every engine after this number has better rods. B

Wow we need some serious proof about the BF engine. So many different stories.

The BF's are the same from what I've been told, it's the change from BA - BF where things had changed.

Posted Images

BF's built after a certain month in 06 or 07 had the stronger (Gas) conrods and will handle a little more power. If you dig around on the forum a little, you will find the build date that I'm talking about.

As everyone has said, don't bother with a 5 speed manual. They break with stock power.

If your goal is 1/4 mile times though, and your pockets are deep enough for rebuilding and strengthening transmissions, get a ZF 6 speed.

Edit: also, try to steer clear of cars that have had generic (capa) flash tunes.

Edited by The Converted

yes a build date after 06/06 has the same rods as the f6...

also try to get premium sound as it is a better base to get a half decent sound/ dvd etc.

auto in the bf is alot better- they use the same trans in high powered euro cars.

also auto is quicker than either the 5 or 6 speed.

Did all the BF turbo models come with the 6speed auto? Very early model non-turbos had the 4sp standard with the 6sp as an option. After driving a 4sp auto BF XR6 for 5 years and then moving into an FG turbo with the ZF, I realised what I was missing out on the whole time.

I'd get the best you think you can afford.

Sounds like you're getting manual, in which case I would rule out the 5 speed. The 6 speed manual is an awesome gearbox. As mentioned the auto's are faster if you're chasing 1/4 mile times.

BF has 5kw more also 30nm of torque, duel vct and a few other minor changes. As mentioned 06/06 onwards has the GAS/FPV Rods, which are handy if you're chasing power levels over about 330-350rwkw (safely), and also definitely after then they had stronger valve springs, and maybe early (which on a BA it's a guessing game when you'll need them replaced).

My opinion would be that if money is a factor and you're not chasing huge power, buy a BA MkII and with the money saved do a few modifications. However obviously, a BF with same k's and mods will be better again.

• 2 weeks later...

all xr6ts and fpvs had the zf I think...

Hell no.

BA's have the BTR 4 speed box, which is what all the big high stalls exist for and they can be built really strong without much secret squirrel action. BF's get the ZF 6 speed auto which is more complex and mods like high stalls have been slower to come out but are there now I think?

BF's get a second knock sensor, VCT on the exhaust valves as well as intake leading to higher stock power and torque. Most get better valve springs and conrods (the 06/06 build date thing). Some BF's get steel ZF pan from factory, some don't (like mine, May 2007).

That's all I can remember right now.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Gday I just got on my open licence and am looking to buy my first turbocharged car. The ba and bf xr6t are in my price range and Ive heard offa few ppeople that the ba has a needle bearing turbo which are supposably crap but I can't find any info on the net. Any help would be much appreciated, cheers guys

• 3 months later...

Other than a few extra / thicker joints / bolts on the BF IRS, the other obvious update is the rear hyme bush, measuring 40 mm, 3 on each side of the rear wheels that adjusts the blade control. The BF ones sits noticebly lower than the BA ones too.
I believe there could be minor change to the stiffness on the front/rear control arms on the BF?? Maybe someone can elaborate on that one.
It's not just about horsepower and size of the turbo, it's the balance of the car, VE Clubsport is a good example.

• 1 year later...

Regardless of the model, replacing valve springs is a good idea for reliability. Even though the MK2s came with better springs compared to BA they are still factory and not designed for increased boost on a regular basis.

Even FGs have been shown to see improvements with uprated valve springs so I'd budget them in at some point.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...