5 Speed Gearbox Removal

Whisler70

• Member For: 11y 3m 25d

can anyone give me some tips on getting a 5 speed gearbox out and back in on an sedan 04 ba xr6t easily? or are they all hard to get out and in again? ive got mine out but was a struggle and getting it back in is going to be harder so was wondering if there was any secrets to doing it?

yer have a hoist and gearbox jack. have tilted the motor as much as I can without undoing engine mounts and was still hard work. do you recomend undoing engine mounts?

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d

Did you take the cat section of the exhaust off?

T5's basically fall out of these cars. First one I ever did was out in 45 minutes. Mal Wood's guys do them in 30.

Yer everything is out of the car... The bell housing was just hitting on the gearbox tunnel and making it hard to get out. Did you have to rotate the gearbox to get it in and out? I'm sure ill manage to get it back in, I was just wondering if I was doing it right and if there was an easier way? Once I had everything undone it took about 20 mins to get out. Just waiting for my clutch to come in before I put it all back together.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 6d

Sounds like you are struggling, Adam would have been referring to the time taken from cracking the first nut.

The rocker cover should be hitting the firewall when you tilt the engine up. Then the box just drops out. Same thing when putting it back in.

• Like 1

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d

Yeah, start to finish in 30-45 mins.

I just wedged a block of wood between the chassis and the sump. That pushed the back of the engine down enough to slide it straight out.