Should I Buy This Xr6T (Merged Topic)

Terror07

• Member For: 10y 5m 4d
2 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

We aren't talking about collectable cars, we are talking about a hypothetical, 10 to 15 yo, dime a dozen falcon, that has "only been driven 1 week every 3 months" and it's suitability for YBEHSV.

Those issues I listed are a reality in unused vehicles. Not really much of a problem for something that wont be driven, but not ideal for a daily driver. The repair bill could easily run into 50% of the purchase price.

Exactly.

Cant compare a classic car to something I plan to use as a daily drive that will need to have these things in very good working order.

• Member For: 6y 10m 27d

Ok then lets talk about a VL turbo, VS SS, VT HSV, those old poofy falcons with sh*t written on them, classic car? No. You wouldn't buy one with low original k's? Its been locked in a shed since 1989 etc. Very minor issues to see it on the road again. Plenty more examples, these are the type of cars you would dream to buy. I may or may not be wrong. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

You aren't wrong man but you completely changed the subject. Low km in a mid 2000's falcon doesn't merit a higher price tag yet.

4 minutes ago, adams355 said:

Very minor issues to see it on the road again.

To make a tidy, reliable, safe and legal daily, here's my estimate for parts and labour for a car that has "only been driven 1 week every 3 months" or, even most cars that are getting past the 15 to 20 year mark, especially cars that just sit in the shed.

4 tyres=$1000

Full brake system recon=$1000

Full bush and joint kit=$1000

Suspension=$1500

Fuel system service and replace=$1500

Major engine trans and diff service=$1000

Rusted exhaust etc etc???

They are fairly standard workshop prices ($100 to $150p/h) for stock parts and r&r, and one or two is a bit low for replacing so many out of service components. That is also hoping that the engine, trans or diff doesn't need anything further than a service.

That is already 7k and there is plenty more to do to revive an older car that has been hardly used. Of course you may not need to get your injectors cleaned and serviced or your fuel tank washed out etc. Some states will let you register crap and some of us don't gaf about driving a sh*tbox but some states require a roadworthy, so you can't get around fixing bushes, brakes, tyres and suspension etc.

If a turbo falcon had sat in the shed for ten years, being hardly driven, I would expect to pay at least that much extra over the purchase price if I didn't do the work myself. Haha just for s&g if it had run on e85 and sat around, I'd double that estimate cos #waterworks.

But yeah...the falcon will go the way of all the cult cars eventually.

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Doubt it.  I own 2 F6.  18k and 40k.  Both perfect.  

How funny is it mine are rarely off the road.  

Interior and exterior like new.  Cause always garage. 

You want a reliable daily, to spend NO money on.  Buy a new car.  

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
12 minutes ago, arronm said:

14 minutes ago, arronm said:

mine are rarely off the road.

Seems legit. 

15 minutes ago, arronm said:

You want a reliable daily, to spend NO money on.  Buy a new car.

Bullsh*t. You'll have a marathon of service obligations to keep on top of for warranty reasons. 

OK so the bf typhoon did not turn out well. That was to be expected though.

Getting frustrated, I decided to go drive an FG even though I didnt think they looked as nice as the BF.

I loved it.

Started looking more seriously into FG and there were much more available than BF's with the boxes I wanted ticked.

I pulled the trigger on an FG 50th anniversary that ticked all the boxes:

1 Owner (57 year old)

Full serivce history with not one service missed (heaps of cars I saw claimed full service history but had some missing here and there)

all the options I wanted (minus sunroof but I will get that done pretty quickly)

and my favourite, completely unmodified and in fantastic condition both paint and interior

Will post some pics soon.

Thanks for the insight so far guys.

• Like 2

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d
I decided to go drive an FG even though I didnt think they looked as nice as the BF.

I loved it.
Haha this describes me a couple of months ago. And yep finding a good FG only took a few days!

If you aren't looking for bulk top end power, that baby turbo comes on pretty nice on the street.

Good work!
  • Like 1

So the car is now in my ownership and I am very happy with it.

Drove it all the way home from the ACT and it didnt miss a beat and returned great fuel economy on the freeway which was to be expected. Got about 600kms out of 3/4 of a tank. Not bad at all.

Has a few little scratches and chips but is a very honest car and has the full service history.

Mechanically it seems very strong. Only gripe I have with the car is a very very slight rough idle which I have read is a common occurrence. Any idea what it could be guys?

• Like 1