Should I Buy This Xr6T (Merged Topic)

Terror07

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 19d

I'd say make a list of the parts/features you want in order of priority so you know what to compromise on.  And make sure the km's are low but not to low - you don't want something that's only been driven 1 week every 3 months.  But for me low'ish kms was more important than how old the car was.  However can't go to old else that's just as bad as having super low kms.

Then go hunting - I sort of restricted my search to Sydney (more cars to choose from) or Adelaide (less competition for cars) as well as Melbourne.  Either are a cheap'ish flight to get to and I used to book one-way tickets cos never know if the one you go up to see will be the one you get to drive home in :roflmbo:  

But you definitely have to see the car in person was my solid belief - pictures lie alot (depends on lighting, angle of view, color saturation and cropping - especially the cropping ... like what did they crop out because it would detract from the sale !)

Above all be patient - despite what you think about prices and people being stubborn barstardds - the one will come along and you'll be thanking every day from that day on that its your drive now :beerchug: 

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

Well put. A couple of hundred in flights is well worth a decent car. 

Also good advice about being patient. A good car won't appear within the first week or two. 

If old mate has 15k for a car then perhaps @k31th's car isn't that far out of the price range.

• Member For: 10y 6m
22 minutes ago, EvilDaifu said:

I'd say make a list of the parts/features you want in order of priority so you know what to compromise on.  And make sure the km's are low but not to low - you don't want something that's only been driven 1 week every 3 months.  But for me low'ish kms was more important than how old the car was.  However can't go to old else that's just as bad as having super low kms.

Then go hunting - I sort of restricted my search to Sydney (more cars to choose from) or Adelaide (less competition for cars) as well as Melbourne.  Either are a cheap'ish flight to get to and I used to book one-way tickets cos never know if the one you go up to see will be the one you get to drive home in :roflmbo:  

But you definitely have to see the car in person was my solid belief - pictures lie alot (depends on lighting, angle of view, color saturation and cropping - especially the cropping ... like what did they crop out because it would detract from the sale !)

Above all be patient - despite what you think about prices and people being stubborn barstardds - the one will come along and you'll be thanking every day from that day on that its your drive now :beerchug: 

Good advice and am happy to travel interstate for the right car. Photos nearly always lie. 

I have been looking for over a month now. Getting a little frustrated that there are so many of these cars that are just plain neglected. I know the right car will come along eventually. 

Looking at a bionic blue bf typhoon on saturday. Sunroof, leather, 155kms, service history. Has a built motor supposedly which I will do my research on. Almost certain it will be too modified for me. 390rwkw on e85. Need to get it tuned for 98 for daily use. Will report back on it.

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 19d

Well I think from the time I really started looking for my Vixen F6 it must have been close to 9 mths.  There was one in VIC that was a MK2 which I should have bought but I waited to long for the price to drop as it was dropping every so many weeks.  Problem with that strategy is what you want to pay may be lower than someone else who's played the game longer and willing to pay just that bit more to secure the car.  So when my current one came up in Sydney it had only been up for less that 24 hrs on carsales website and within a week I was up there for inspection with a one way ticket.  As soon as I saw it in the driveway - knew it was the one - you know that music that plays in your head :roflmbo: The test drive comfirmed it.  He had his pink and blue (or whatever they are in NSW) slips ready because in that week he'd already been pissed off by some tyre kicker so he was primed for negotiating and I got the price down.  Mind you - I paid a bit more than I thought I would pay but it wasnt much more in the scheme of things.  It might have helped I was into XR6 turbos as part of this forum - people want to know they are passing on their pride and joy to someone who'll appreciate it in my opinion.  And I got to do the smile on your face as wide as the Nullabor honeymoon drive back to Melbourne :beerchug:

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 28d
On 9/13/2018 at 7:56 PM, EvilDaifu said:

And make sure the km's are low but not to low - you don't want something that's only been driven 1 week every 3 months.  But for me low'ish kms was more important than how old the car was.  However can't go to old else that's just as bad as having super low kms.

What does this mean??   Why would you not buy a 10 year old car with 30K on it that has been maintained.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Seals go hard if they aren't exposed to oil or fluids regularly.

Rubber on the tyre will have gone hard despite having tread depth.

Interiors suffer without being maintained regularly, although you did say "maintained".

There could be slight amounts of rust built up on the engine, trans and diff internals through a lack of oil contact.

Starting a car only once every few months will mean that there are much drier starts which causes faster wear.

Various oils are hygroscopic which can cause the rust issues I mentioned especially in brake calipers and brake/clutch master/slave cylinders.

Fuel turns to poo and starts to block sh*t up after a while.

Suspension and bushes that just sit in one position for ages, slowly drying up, will die out the arse pretty quickly when they are subjected to regular service again.

It is unlikely that a car that doesn't get driven is maintained properly.

Yeah there's exceptions etc but there are a few reasons I wouldn't buy an older car that wasn't used much.

• Like 2

• Member For: 6y 11m 23d

I don't think the market agrees with you puff considering low k GTHO Phase 3's go for how much? Any low k older performance car is always worth more, XR6T will get there too. Really only minor concerns for those that sit.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

We aren't talking about collectable cars, we are talking about a hypothetical, 10 to 15 yo, dime a dozen falcon, that has "only been driven 1 week every 3 months" and it's suitability for YBEHSV.

Those issues I listed are a reality in unused vehicles. Not really much of a problem for something that wont be driven, but not ideal for a daily driver. The repair bill could easily run into 50% of the purchase price.