Should I Buy This Xr6T (Merged Topic)

Terror07

• Member For: 11y 2m 22d

Hi all, been browsing the forums for a while and thought I should make an introductory post / question!

Having come from a Japanese car background initially (180SX, Skyline, Subaru STi) and more recently a VW Golf GTi, a drive in the bro-in-laws FG XR6T has convinced me that I need a RWD turbo skid machine back in my life!! :wwww: Added wife brownie points are that it will be safe and easily fit the 2 baby seats!

Very impressed with the stock power and also at how easily more killerwasps can be released so I'm very excited to purchase. However I am quite fussy so onto my conundrum....

I really love the MKII, the front end, the touch screen and the lack of the blue shading on the speedo are all winners. Unfortunately they are a bit light on at the moment considering my criteria: would prefer white (also partial to lightning strike) with leather (easy to clean plus looks classy!) and under 100K kms. Always driven manual but the auto in these amazes me so its not a dealbreaker.

I've found a MKI that is pretty much perfect! December 2011, white, leather with all premium options. Low 60K kms, very well looked after with the added bonus of being lowered, with the muffler delete so it sounds great!

Ad is here: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/baldivis/cars-vans-utes/2011-fg-xr6-turbo/1104377226

Am I going to regret not getting a MKII? What would I be missing out on apart from what I listed above? I am known to be a little impatient but I also think I may struggle to find exactly what I want at the right price (no more than $25K). I've found a MKII in white with leather but it is over east...should I go down this route?

Thanks in advance!

• Member For: 12y 7m 3d

Yep,  I own a lightening strike Mk2 G6et.

The extra tech inside over a Mk1 or even a base Mk2 really makes the drive that little bit better.

The ICC is very nice to use on a whole, the sound system is acceptable for most and the navigation works well.

Only thing I don't like is the track order upon restart  when reading off a USB skips back and incoming calls don't show Caller ID. I believe a software update fixes this, I'm awaiting a visit to fraud for another reason before I do this.

Leather, electric seats all make the fact your in a falcon that little bit nicer.

Auto darkening read vision mirror is not very nice, lowering passenger side upon reverse is a nice touch though.

The front of a Mk2 looks much more modern compared to the Mk1, the projector headlights are nice, but make the car look cross eyed.

MK2  really deserved some nicer LED taillights, even FGX ones are pretty old looking for a modern car.

Even though they look wicked, white late model falcons are prone for rust issues at the edges of panels, specially if left dirty or on a beach side suburb.

Summary, driving wise, I think buying an optioned MK2 over a optioned MK1 is chalk and cheese, not so much if buying base models vs Base models

Just not that much out there at the moment unfortunately, and then you get people who have no idea of the market asking for $10K more than what they're worth!

Guess I'll have to just bide my time and try to be patient. Seems to be plenty around with cloth but hardly any with leather hence me looking at getting one from over east. Not sure if it was a more popular option in the MKI, because I see heaps of those around!

Had also considered the G6eT.....what am I missing out on vs the XR6T? No manual option, no LSD, "softer" ride? Considering that the first thing I'll probably do will be handling modifications instead of the usual power route maybe the suspension side of things isn't that much of an issue?

• Member For: 7y 10m 9d
2 hours ago, moshriff said:

Unfortunately they are a bit light on at the moment considering my criteria: would prefer white (also partial to lightning strike) with leather (easy to clean plus looks classy!) 

Instant brownie points from the primer crowd @SteveR @Ralph Wiggum @arronm

Sorry I'm not any help. This just made me lol 

• Like 2

Yeah I've seen that pic when I was browsing around....I think his favorite colour is black? :nyaah: It was probably all the love for it here that made me include it on my list!

1 hour ago, moshriff said:

Had also considered the G6eT.....what am I missing out on vs the XR6T? No manual option, no LSD, "softer" ride? Considering that the first thing I'll probably do will be handling modifications instead of the usual power route maybe the suspension side of things isn't that much of an issue?

The main thing that is a detractor for the G series to me is the single wheeler, my mates YOLO me all the time and makes driving it spirited pretty sh*t.  XR LSD slots straight in, and mine will get one at the same time it gets its first round of rear end bushes.

My Mk2 only had 16k on it, Ive put 4 on it in 6months.

Going from a BF that had done 145, the ride in the G feels much tighter and firm, I think you would have to drive a XR and G the same day to notice the ride difference, plus they'd have to have the same wear and tear to be able to say whats rides and how

I prefer the G series interior, and even when "fully loaded" the XR6 doesn't have as many options as the G unit.

Obviously, the looks are subjective as to whether you prefer the G or the XR, personally I will leave the G looking 100% stock, but if Id got an XR it would need to be slammed on staggered 20's to keep me happy

for the record, I bought my G from WA, had it independently inspected and sent across the bight, maybe I got lucky but I got a better car than expected.

14560187_1581718408804614_8361138717279763174_o.jpg

Edited by Ale

Beautiful looking car mate!

Plans hopefully in this order would be:

Suspension - coilovers most likely as I've been reading all the good reviews on here about the Shockworks

Brakes - slotted rotors, possibly Brembo's? and some decent pads

Rims - something to keep the weight down!

Go fast bits - injectors & tune first

So maybe I could factor in an LSD before the go fast bits and all would be well.....any idea what one would set me back?

haha, cheers, like I said, IMO, they look just fine factory, could probably lower it a bit.

I see second hand LSD's for under $500 all the time, the question would be working out why its for sale/what condition its in.

Local ford wrecker quoted similar with warranty + fitting

Id say for the average person, finding one out of a standard car that's been crashed would be a good option.

No different to the one you would get when buying a second hand car, only you get to inspect it before buying.

Pretty straight forward thing to freshen up too, but depending on the deal you can find, a brand new true track or something that will deal with proper abuse may not be much more.

After consider the work/labor cost of swapping it in that's the killer, but if doing it at the same time as the rear bushes, your in front.

In anything but a straight line, mine just smokes the inside, and even when in a straight line its unpredictable and often chops and changes which wheel or if both spin.

Ive had the traction light come on at 140km/hr whilst over taking in the rain on the hwy, its appalling that Ford didn't even offer it an option.

• Like 1