Turbo Bolts Missing Manifold Side

Brendan

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 29d

So I noticed an exhaust sound coming from somewhere around the footwell, initially thought it was the exhaust but after looking at it last night noticed there was a gap between the turbo and manifold and 3 of the bolts where missing and the 4th was sitting there very loosley.

Basically my question is, is there any way to get these new 'double ended bolts' (not sure what they are exactly called) I got from ford in without havin to remove the entire turbo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Banned
  • Banned
  • Member For: 11y 8m 29d

It is possible to fit these with the turbo on,done it a few times myself.Unbolt the actuator so its got some play in it and some extensions and 14mm 3/8 drive can send it home....it's hard to explain 100% and as my car is at paint shop I can't take a pic to point to the area.

Anyway,it can be done so just have a look at the ways possible slowly until you see the one where the tools I described looks like will do the job.You feed one extension in with the 14mm socket onto the nut(have nut fully screwed onto thread first)through under the comp housing and locate the threaded end into the manifold,add to this another extension to get ratchet in a good place for easy spinning.remove all turbo piping from crossover and do the job on a cold motor.In all honesty I would do away with the ford nuts and get some Nordlock bolts/nuts in same diam,problem solvered for ever.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 29d

Thanks heaps for your help! I know what your getting at from what I was looking at last night, see how I go. If not ill just pull the whole thing out lol. Thanks again for your help.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 11y 4m 30d

Experiencing this problem at the moment turbo is hanging on (loosely) by 2 studs only. Any recommendations for replacement to avoid this happening again? Also what is thread pitch? Might just pull one out and take to shop to match anyway.