Input Shaft Snap - Fourth Time Lucky?

Will27111991

• Member For: 11y 5m 16d

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help with advice or information on an issue we have been having with a BF mk2 F6 Typhoon.

Just last week we managed to snap the third input shaft fitted to the cars ZF 6-speed. This latest break occurred on the change into third gear at 60kph, no where near boost. The last shaft to break was rated at 900HP.

As is we currently have a peak of 360kw and 750nm of torque at the wheels. The box has been built somewhat, and it seems like there was a quick slip on the gear change which shocked the drive train.

I Think that there may be an overall fault with the box rather than faulty shafts, causing some sort of misalignment or something due to a malformation.

I've suggested ditching this box and fitting a fully manualised and built C4, others involved think we should rebuild this same box again, but I cant help but feel that if it didn't work the first three times, its a lot of money and time to outlay to try for a fourth in a seemingly faulty box.

Is this a unique issue? or something common in ZF's when the torque is upped a bit?

I'm no genius with transmission work, so any help or thoughts would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

• Member For: 11y 10m 26d

power glide :)

honestly I got realy no idea about autos but if I was to sh*t a manual I'm going a fully manualised glide for sure

Edited by FPVFGS

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 24d

Not surprised you are breaking them with that power. I have done 2 including a billet one. Do you have a ZF tune and is your input shaft std. If it is you will keep breaking them. The FG shaft is stronger than the BF due to use of a different heat treatment. Advice is ontput the std one back in. If it is already built then not sure what's going on as billet ones should handle that power comfortably. ZF tunes are also difficult to get right.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 20d

Threads like this make me glad I got a manual. I was considering putting a built c4 in mine but was talked out of it. No reason was really given other than it ruins the nice new car with an old style box.

• Member For: 11y 5m 16d

Yeah, has the tune, last shaft matched/exceeded the billet specs by far.. Spoke to someone who suggested having one machined from aermet 100 alloy (calls NASA). just seems that with repeated breaks, if we make this part über strong, something else will let go...

The C4 is a bit old school... But in any drag situation the first three gears in the 6-speed are only good for smoke anyway...plus the torque curve is so flat that longer gears won't be a huge issue..

Just need to consider the practicality of changing box versus building the ZF.. I was under the impression these things were well good for this sort of power without a huge amount of work at all...

• Member For: 11y 10m 26d

nah mate I had a huge argument with all the dicks on the fpv owners fb page and they thought there the bees kneess,....

but there not good when under power ... rlquik ( australias first zf to run under 10) had his gear box built by yarra glen autos .... he is on this forum ,m maybe give him a message

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 24d

Give Nizpro a call. They are well advanced in their development of the ZF. I should know as they use my car to try all their ZF new bits. Mine feels awesome and it is pushing 500rwkw. I have one of their brand new shafts in the car now to try. Dave is also doing heaps of development on the ZF tune. It is worth giving them a call and having a chat.

• Like 1