Ba Intake Manifold Question

NVT

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 23d

Hey all,

I've been working through a couple of small issues with my car, namely running rough when cold. I've heard that the intake mainfold can be a contributor to this.

I've done plugs, coils, etc and this is the next thing on my list.

My question relates to where the actual manifold is, how I access it to tighten the nuts and how I know if there is an issue with the gasket/another part of the manifold. If anyone has any advice, experience or pictures realating to this, it would be much appreciated.

From what I understand, the manifold lies underneath the heat shielding on the turbo side. Is that right? To access these bolts do I need to pull off the heat shielding? And is access best from above the engine bay, or from undernaeath the car?

Tightening bolts doesn't seem hard and I'm thinking I should probably change the gasket while I'm doing this. I'd assume it would be really easy to source one, but does this make the job overly complicated? Or is it just pull off and replace?

I have also read that you spray something around the manifold, and if the revs drop then you have a leak/poor seal. Is this a good way to test if it needs to be tightened? What is it that you 'spray?'

Thanks guys. I'm happy to put together a write up with my experiences afterwards if anyone is interested.

Cheers guys,

Dan

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

Your getting your manifolds confused. Looking at the engine from in front of the car exhaust is on the left intake in on the right.

The intake manifold is made up two halves. They are know to leak between the upper and lower halves and also between the head and manifold.

Use a carby/throttle body cleaner to diagnose the leak. The gaskets can be had from just about any decent auto parts store.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 21d

Dan, the intake manifold is on the other side of the engine - what you are describing is the exhaust manifold.

The intake manifold has 2 sets of bolts essentially. The set that bolt the manifold to the head and the set that bolt the top half of the manifold to the bottom half. Both will be tricky to get at from either above or below the car while the engine is in the bay. Take a good look at it and figure out a plan of attack from there

Edit: ^^^ Beat me by a few seconds...

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 23d

Awesome guys,

Thanks for that! I think I'll be checking the TB gaskets first then as it sounds much easier hahahaha!

If I spray carby cleaner below the TB when the car is running with all the piping still on, will that give the same result? As in, will the revs drop?

Cheers guys!

Dan

• 6 years later...
  • Member For: 4y 10m 24d

Your Inlet Manifold Gasket will be split or leaking. Have heard of hardly any leaking from the Plenum to Inlet Manifold if still running the Steel Shim Gasket. Is a sh*t of a job to change the Inlet Manifold Gasket. Get a workshop to change it for you. Then it will be right. I should know, I just changed one on a 2007 Territory Turbo. In my own workshop.

• Member For: 8y 11m 21d

Your about 7 yrs to late with ya reply mate.

Helpful information though, there are a few tasks on these cars that are better  left up to a professional. Especially if a person doesn't know which is the intake manifold and which is the exhaust manifold.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1