Rear Muffler Removal For Straight Pipe

Bellato

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m

Hey guys thought about doing the centre muffler but looked into what some of done and plus I wanna change the tip so rear muffler looked like a good option.

Was thinking about cutting off the rear muffler, welding in a piece of 3inch stainless and putting twin 3inch tips on the end. Has anyone done this? What other options are there for the rear muffler?

Cheers

• billet turbos and weathered engines dont mix
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 10m 28d

Where do you live? Take my section for a spin in your car. I got a bolt in and out twin 2.5 section, 260. 3 inch tips

• Member For: 13y 8m 30d

Unlike centre muffler removal, deleting rear muffler will give better gas flow, therefore a slight increase in performance. Also it doesn't sound like a tractor. For best results use full 2.5 inch flange bolt up replacement. Also if doing yourself make sure you can get the car up high enough, as it is a bugger to get exhaust over the diff cradle.

Cheers

• Donating Members

Where do you live? Take my section for a spin in your car. I got a bolt in and out twin 2.5 section, 260. 3 inch tips

Griffith NSW.

Yea I wanted to make a proper section with flanges etc so I can swap it over later but for all the money and work to go over the diff could get a catback lol.

I don't have a hoist but I can use a forklift if need be lol. From having a look cause I'm going to cut the muffler off straight after the diff I should be able to take it off a lot easier than normal, putting it on will be sh*t

• Member For: 12y 1m 24d

This might help Bellato, I have also put a flange on my standard rear box so I can revert back at anytime.

Flange is just at the point where the factory piping starts to go straight, this way it will be very simple to hang and centre

2012-09-11_11-10-36_107.jpg

Veiw from the back, completely straight if you cut and weld the flange right, im looking at putting a collector in now so it will be flange, 100mm straight 3" into split collector, then twin 3" all the way out with staggered tips, will look alot more neater as the single 3" does look a little small on some angles.

2012-09-11_11-10-48_32.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality pics, but you get the idea..

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Sweet, that's pretty much what I want to do but with twin tips. Did you do this yourself or get a shop to do it? The bloke I went too basically didn't want to flange it cause it was too much work for him! and then quoted $250-$300 (with a $120 tip) and all he had to do was cut then weld.

On a side note what are peoples views on these. Finding it impossible to get a straight cut twin 3" tip for under like $120 (which is way too much for what it is) and I don't want rolled tips from all the bad reviews. So got these 2 options at the moment. If anyone has a pic of the dump style tips would be much appreciated, thinking I'm leaning that way.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261087169267?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1589wt_1165

Don't really like the angle in on this and because its cheap I'd say it might be the same as rolled tips and muffle a bit

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261095887394?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1672wt_1165

And this one is what I like but trying to find something cheaper

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170789518338?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_675wt_1165

• Member For: 12y 1m 24d

An exhaust shop did mine, only because I wanted to make sure I could put the standard rear box back on and it would sit perfectly. I will be doing the collector and twin 3" myself.

Something just like this so I can utilise the existing flange and hanger etc

77171h6_20.jpg

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 8m 1d

I like the Twin idea mate

Got the muffler cut off on my G6et and kept stock tip cost me $60 at an exhaust shop

Gives it a nice note and insnt too loud and when fully on it and it back fires and sounds like a gunshot :-)