Bfii Zf Auto Failed...

el-dub801

• Member For: 11y 11m 21d

Hi all, First time post here. Just wondering if any other xr8/6t owners have had ZF auto's fail?? And what sort of faults did you find with the auto after being pulled down... Ive spoken to Ford and got the standard "no need for maintenance" answer which seems to be a standard response from most service advisors when asked about oil change intervals on the ZF.

My XR6T has 130000kms on it, with throttle remount/bigger cooler/hi-flow turbo/cold air intake and flash tune etc etc making 350rwkw. It gets driven hard only a fraction of the time and is used more as a daily driver than a drag car and last week, Wednesday I think, my auto started to play up and eventually lost drive. After a few weeks of buzzing (what I thought was a dirty fuel pump - I have a surge tank fitted up near my fuel rail) the buzzing eventually became more prominent and the box started to flare and bang badly into gear under light throttle... Also, after a cold start one morning after being left outside overnight, the auto got stuck in 3rd and wouldnt shift up or down, only by turning the car off then back on could the gears be changed in S mode.

I took it to a friend of mine who has alot of experience rebuilding and teaching auto's at TAFE and after listening to it for 3 seconds told me it was probably the oil pump inside the box itself. The auto will be stripped down this coming week and rebuilt (hopefully without too much drama)

Im still a little bewildered considering these autos are meant to take alot more than what mine has been thru - being a mechanic myself I tend not to abuse my own machinery, I cant vouch for the previous owner of my car (NSW Police) but up until last wednesday it had been pretty damn reliable.

I'll post what I find with the box when its been pulled down next week...

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Ex cop car here also, box has been great but is slowly succumbing to the power levels. I also drive it daily, minimum 500km a week, only give it WOT a couple of times. 3/4 throttle quite a few times a day though...I'm quite sure it's slipping in the 3-4 change as I can't be on WOT or it won't shift t 4th.

Had fluid/filter changed by XFT at about 140,000km from memory. They used Transmax Z but I will be going back to genuine ZF fluid next service of the box due to revs bouncing 200rpm when cold and cruising along. Never did it before the change and another bloke on here, Hypnodoc, fixed this issue by using genuine.

I also had the heat exchanger replaced in case mine was rusting through - check the milkshake thread...

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 3d

A failed oil pump doesn't need to be based on power output. Sometimes things just fail. An oil pump could fail on a stock car too.