What Made You Feel Good Today

Ralph Wiggum

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 6d

We have “bring your dog to work” days. 
There are a bunch of us with black and white Border Collies... it’s becoming a tribe at this point hahaha 

Flys growing up fast! 
vICFJxb.jpg

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 2m 18d

The thing that made me feel very much happiness today was the moment when I checked my bearing clearances after already building the bottom end once, but when doing the final check of the clearances on the mains, I found that the machinist may have misunderstood what the motor is actually being built for... Street!

He closed and line honed and undersized the crank to a clearance of .0032".

Reckons that's how he builds super high boost strip cars like that to compensate for crank flex so they don't burn the oil onto the bearing shells!

I asked him how do I go about oil pressure once it warms up, he said drag cars rarely get too warm!

Then it clicked, ohh are you putting that in a street car?

The thing that made me feel happy was learning that he can get undersize in one thou increments, so I only had to change the shells🧐

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 2m 18d

A lesson for you "do your own work" at home gurus out there...

Always flexigauge every bearing for peace of mind when putting all those expensive goodies together.

I was dumbfounded when I went to buy it for the build, repco didn't stock it anymore, super cheap staff didn't even know what it is and 2 of the 3 local engine reconditioning shops I visited don't use it anymore?

I eventually found an old fella in a mechanical repairs shop that had literally a box of it!

IMG_20220910_205451.jpg

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 18d

Plastigauge shouldn't be used as a way to check bearing clearances. You should always use a micrometer. It does have its place but it isn't for initial assembly.

Furthermore every clearance in the motor needs checking before assembly to ensure it's correct, it isn't done for peace of mind. You can't just slap sh*t together fresh out of the machine shop and hope for the best, that isn't how you build an engine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 6d

WMMFG....

I feel like I’ve come further in the last 18 months in my career than in the last ten years.

I officially have not one, but our organisations two largest building projects to manage as well as the others I am running with.... but today I got some cool news... 

I have been asked to consult as a permanent panel member for a newly formed committee within the organisation which is now responsible for the long term strategy for community major infrastructure needs.
A position which I was specifically requested to take on due to my expertise and to which I am the only one in the committee not in an executive or senior leadership position. 

It’s a pretty big deal for my type of role within my sector and an opportunity which isn’t often forwarded, so feeling very lucky but also proud I’ve been recognised as being valuable in that position. 🥰

• Like 4