What Made You Feel Good Today

Ralph Wiggum

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 24d

You don't want to go down the deep rabbit hole then with a laptop, calibrated mic, Room EQ Wizard (REW), Bass EQ (BEQ) and even applying Harman target response curves....
Do the basics of running the auto EQ then level matching and set speaker crossovers for subwoofer depending on amp settings availability. I recommend running the sub 3-6db over the rest (80db sub, 75db speakers) if it can handle it as most people don't run there systems at reference level (or can't).
Don't forget to set the speakers to SMALL not large.....

Have fun!!!

• Donating Members

It really goes on where you sit and placement of that mic when you do the initial setup which is pointless because you dont hold it at ear height lol

A cheap $20 boom mic stand fixes that but even sitting the mic on the top of the lounge/recliner headrest works or even stacking cushions on your lounge to roughly ear height and sitting the mic on it.
The systems aren't perfect but they are far better than previous years now with reflections taken into consideration.
All said and done if you don't like it then switch the EQ off but I tell most people to set and forget and enjoy for a week before trying to solve first world room problems lol

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d
11 minutes ago, bjc said:

You don't want to go down the deep rabbit hole then with a laptop, calibrated mic, Room EQ Wizard (REW), Bass EQ (BEQ) and even applying Harman target response curves....
Do the basics of running the auto EQ then level matching and set speaker crossovers for subwoofer depending on amp settings availability. I recommend running the sub 3-6db over the rest (80db sub, 75db speakers) if it can handle it as most people don't run there systems at reference level (or can't).

Have fun!!!

Haha, I was doing a bit of reading up about all that...but I don't really want to get that involved. My front speakers need to be set to large (they're not little), especially for 2ch audio, as my sub has both LFE and high-level inputs, so the sub still runs when playing 2ch audio and blends extremely well. Surround speakers are set to small. YPAO set the fronts and centre to large and the surrounds to small...so it must have an idea?

I have to be honest though, I haven't even looked at the sub settings in the calibration. I've tuned it properly for 2ch, but hadn't played with it for theatre.

Room treatment looks like a very deep and expensive rabbithole to go down...I'm honestly not sure I can be bothered, especially since it's my main living area!

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 26d
13 minutes ago, bjc said:

obviously this must be important

dumb BCB has all his speakers set to large :prop:

can you explain (without confusing me) what difference this would make

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Member For: 10y 11m 26d
3 minutes ago, .Stripes. said:

YPAO set the fronts and centre to large

LOL, you've got the largest center speaker I've ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!

43 minutes ago, bloodycrashboy said:

If set to large then your receiver sends all frequencies to your speakers. When set to small it essentially cuts the frequencies that get sent to your speakers a little higher up the spectrum and lets the sub deal with the low stuff.

• Like 1

• Member For: 7y 7m 13d

^ yep.

not a bad idea but when you have a full house setup and decent fronts that run good mid/low range its a massive a waste. The sub will amplify that base and also what the fronts wont respond to.

same theory as a car really when you have mids/tweeters and subs etc etc

Ideally, for music at least, you want the sub to integrate like an external of the front floor standers, rather than standing out as doof doof.

• Donating Members
Haha, I was doing a bit of reading up about all that...but I don't really want to get that involved. My front speakers need to be set to large (they're not little), especially for 2ch audio, as my sub has both LFE and high-level inputs, so the sub still runs when playing 2ch audio and blends extremely well. Surround speakers are set to small. YPAO set the fronts and centre to large and the surrounds to small...so it must have an idea?

I have to be honest though, I haven't even looked at the sub settings in the calibration. I've tuned it properly for 2ch, but hadn't played with it for theatre.

Room treatment looks like a very deep and expensive rabbithole to go down...I'm honestly not sure I can be bothered, especially since it's my main living area!
For your 2ch music select your Pure Direct (Yamaha) mode. Other amp/receivers will have a similar setting and this should bypass your inbuilt EQ but depending on source material will use your mains only and not the sub. This is how I've always listened to music in my cave as my subwoofer setup was designed for home theatre movies not music (XO around 80hz and 10db gain over mains) .

Your amp will have multiple profiles that are easily selected so set one up for your music. 2ch stereo selection to include the sub or Pure Direct for mains only.
See my reply to BCB for why ish.....
You have to understand that your speakers (LCR's, Surrounds, overheads etc) have a cut off freq (general working freq). Having large floorstanding speakers that will play to a 40hz tuning freq is great but LFE (Low Frequency Effect) content in mixed movie recordings are designed for the entire spectrum (all speakers/positions) and by setting your speakers to large negates that LFE for that channel effectively giving that speaker sole LFE capability which it cannot handle and content you'll miss out on.
By setting your speakers to small you then choose your crossover (or it's chosen) but generally 60-80hz for the pass from your speaker to subwoofer. This is by no means a brick wall but typically a 12db per octave (24 and 48 selectable in some) high pass filter. Most here would know what that means hopefully....also don't let the word SMALL fool you as this is the biggest issue that beginners question, think of it as just a setting and not a size comparison!
This will also take a huge load off of your amp not having to crank out the low frequencies.....more so in this age of "dynamic power" lol.

Regardless though I recommend setting all speakers to SMALL (I've owned Yamaha amps since Dolby Digital existed) and if possible for each channel go off the auto calibrations recommended crossover or set 80hz unless you have testing equipment or are a mixing artist or even long term musician.
Next things is look at the back of your subwoofer and turn that crossover dial all the way up to it's max freq so there's no cascading of crossovers happening with sub amp and receiver.
Use your phone with a basic db meter app but make sure it has the option to select SLOW and C Weighted. Use the amp/receivers internal test tone generator, turn the volume knob up (most amps will show 0db for this) until the first speaker (generally front left) reads +75db and set all other speakers the same (from the speaker volume settings in the amp). For the sub the volume will waver so set it to where the minimum of the fluctuation is at 75db but as I said I like my bass hot so anywhere up to 80db is fine also as majority of sub/amp combos have protection built in and as I said most don't listen at reference level.

Sorry to be long winded but these are the basics (which I could have showed you in 5mins) that generally transform a home theatre as far as effects and sound enjoyment factor go.
Multiple subs are the go (even small 12inch subs) for even response not only in room but across multiple seats and if possible very near field for the tactile response.
I also recommend a projector these days for any home with a movie setup. It takes up no more space than an amp but you'll never go to another cinema again other than the blockbusters!
  • Like 3