What Made You Feel Good Today

Ralph Wiggum

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 7d

Was procrastinating while doing a uni assignment yesterday I decided to look at how much my next power bill should be after having solar installed, since I can track all my usage, consumption, exporting etc. Came to a figure of around $20, inclusive of service charges haha. Although, this first one will be higher as I have to pay for cost of having my meter changed over to a digital one and there was a week in this billing cycle before my solar was installed...so it'll be higher this time, but still means I should no longer dread getting power bills.

• Like 1

I reckon you'd benefit from solar even more than me given you're home all day during the day, man! I was surprised it came out so cheap, considering how much I'm just selling back to the grid (about $100 worth @ ~7c per unit a month) as opposed to using (power from the grid costs ~28c per unit). Be interesting to see what it works out like in summer when the aircon is getting a much bigger workout, though. But I'll be setting it to come on during the day while I'm at work, so it's doing the hard work of cooling the house down while the sun's still shining and just ticking over once I'm home.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 22d

You're right, I probably would as I'm here and also have a variety of kids home that need tv, tablets and lots of dinner cooked while it's still light, thanks to daylight savings time.

We pay about 38c per KWh over here.

With summer coming and it looking to be an el nino year it would make a fair difference with the cooling costs.

You gotta be pretty happy with that $20 or so bill though.

• Member For: 6y 11m 19d

Solar FTW. I haven't paid an electricity bill in 5 years. Just snuck in for the 44c buy back in QLD. Everyone should get that...

The guys at FAT PIPES did an awesome job on my exhaust mods, finally a competent trades person. And they charged me less than the quote!

• Like 1

44c buy-back is the dream! I'd be printing money if I was getting that! SA get bent over on power prices, Puff. Get yourself sorted with a solar setup, man! You can get the same size system as me for like $3-4k if you don't mind going chinese. So on your power prices and usage patterns your pay-back period would be bugger all I reckon. I feel like it's a bit of a rort that they buy the power back from me for 7c then on-sell it for significantly more than that. Is what it is though, and I'm just glad I get something at all for it, rather than it just going to waste. But still...

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 22d

Yeah a dude I know from a block over got a 6.5 system installed for $3800 I think and is getting 18c buy back.

For some reason I procrastinate a lot when I have to spend much more than a grand or so, even if I know that it's for a good thing. Mebbe I'm just a tight arse?

• Member For: 6y 11m 19d

Yea its handy 44c. Go tier one panels and a decent inverter and you will be good these days, it was a bit of a gamble back then. I got ET Solar (chinese) panels which are tier 1 now, lucky.

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 21d

I got solar panel system installed in April of 2011. Got the 48c rebate which was lucky.

I have not paid a bill since April 2011. :D

run air-con all winter and all summer and still get paid. best investment I have ever made. even better than I <3 Bananasen bitcoin bullsh*t.