Xr6 Vs. Xr5 (Mondeo Or Focus)

xa-mont

• Member For: 16y 8d

thanks for the advice.

I have simmered down from my overwhelming urge to get another high powered ute and my brain has kicked in and reminded me that I already have my ute and we need a smaller more economical car, so it really boils down to XR5 v XR5... unless of course I get excited again.

I have read lots of reviews of the MPS saying it's a bit too aggressive. My missus needs to be able to drive whatever we get... its actually going to be her car, so too aggressive is probably a no go. I'de say FG XR6T ute aggressive would be near the limit.

Does the mondeo handle well? Anyone got any idea how economy compares? Surely the recaro's in the focus would be comfy for long trips? (obviously it needs aftermarket cruise put in, but that's no biggy)

Id its your missus car id go the mondeo

Why's that?

She did love the XR6t, except for the size of it (she demonstrated this by touching it against the brick pillar of my garage... that made me really happy)

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 1d

The mondeo is comfy, feature packed, reliable and will accelerate to 100kph in acceptable time lol they are a good car but by no means performance orientated. Has front and rear reverse sensors, bluetooth, good stereo

Only thing is ve prepared to replace rotors and pads every 45k at a minimum, focuses are the same brakes wear quickly.

Just dont expect falcon or even focus acceleration, they do not feel turbocharged

I think I really have to just organise some test drives... maybe a diesel mondeo too? A mate of mine has a diesel mazda 3 and it pulls pretty hard.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

I looked at them. Slower than an n/a xr6 and a lot more to buy into. They do feel well built. But fuel ecconomy the way I drive and go were lacking.

Thought the FG interior was nicer...but yes cheaper

• 1 year later...
  • Inactive Members
  • Member For: 10y 5m 19d

I'm late to this party but wanted to clarify some stuff said earlier.

I have owned my XR5 since December 2011 when I bought it new. Have passed 51,000km in it now. It is not hard on brakes, still have the original brake rotors and pads all the way around. I have not modified the car but don't drive like a granny either.

The Mondeo is around 300kg heavier than the Focus and yet the same engine. The size of the Focus is excellent for around town, I find it fine on long trips (bought it in Brisbane and drove it home to Sydney on day one), the Recaro's are excellent.

Around town returns around 10 litres per 100km even on 95 RON ULP. Hands free phone with voice dialling and other touches make it a very easy car to live with, yet with plenty of poke when needed.

Test drive and odds are you will buy. The Volvo sourced T5 engine is well known for long term reliability if looked after, there are examples on the XR5 Turbo forum with well over 200,000km and modified.