The What's Pi$$Ing You Off Thread

EFSIX

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 30d

Still having dropouts if connected straight to the NBN box? (with nothing else turned on/connected)

I spent a good 18months arguing with Optus about my crappy connection - til I went really, really quiet when I realised that I had a cat 5 plugged into a loop from the router to the modem where it wasn't needed.

Pulled that out plug and it must have been some sort of coincidence, but Optus seemed to have fixed their issues at the same time :P

Edited by raband
  • Like 2

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 17d

as I said b4, fritz is C.R.A.P.

Typical of an ISP Dags, to try and pass the buck or blame you coz of a program you choose to use.....As I said before, my biggest hate with copper line and a 350 buck fritz is the dropouts whilst using the PS3 --- you really notice it when your on a kill streak and all of a sudden..........bam....no connection.

When I bought the first fritz and rang inode about the dropouts, the guy said "the internet wasn't designed for gaming consols". Now that comment = wanker.

If I was just browsing the www, basically only doing what Jet mentioned above, I wouldn't notice dropouts but they would still be happening.

Dropouts can have something to do with the way an ISP 'switches' the connection (no idea what that means though)

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 10d

Straight connection for the past two weeks PC to NBN box and still has the dropouts.

They had NBN come out just before christmas and changed both the box and the fibre line to the outside connection and nothing changed.

Your right I probably wouldnt notice the dropouts but the farkin thing keeps knocking out my sound card and I have to manually switch the fricken thing back on each time.

But there has been numerous occasions where its completely lost the connection and the connection box pops up to connect again.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 30d

Can you log into the box for logs?

See if the connection drops at 8:30 if the PC isn't turned on?

Or a lappy you can connect to it with?

Haven't got a modem port on the box have you (telephone/56k sort of thing)

Or something else set up as DHCP server and it renews lease at 8:30 every day? and causes the NBN box to conflict? (set all machines to get an IP instead of fixed)

A home alarm that phones home every day at 8:30 for a system check?

A neighbour that leaves for work at the same time and opens his garage door with a remote that is on the same frequency as your microwave? :P

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 10d

Cant log on as far as I know.

Turn off the PC.... :rock:

Connected through Lan Port1 (UNI-D 1) no others have a connection as tested.

No phone line the ports are there but I dont have a 'phone'.

No alarms.

No neighbours close enough.

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 29d

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

sent from phone via idags4lyf free app

• Like 4

• Member For: 12y 1m 12d

Count yourselves lucky.. The only internet I can get is wireless broadband. Slow as barina and costs about $60 an month for 7 gig. Damn near max it out on the forums! I'm told the phone exchange is full so I can't get adsl :-

• Like 1

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 25d

Dagabond, do you only have one computer in the household? you could try and use another computer and see if you get the drop outs.

This should help you rule out the fact that it may be your computer.

Then the NBN have nothing to blame. Sounds like a scheduled thing that happens at 08:30 on a daily basis and so it might be something they have done.

They just have not figured out what it is. Maybe a UPS that keeps the power running for the NBN box?