Dsc Issues On My 06 Bf Xr6T - Steering Column Misaligned

Ale

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 23d

Progress of sorts, congrats on the hard evidence!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 12y 7m 22d

So this morning I backed her into the workshop and pulled the column out.

IMAG0334.jpg

Looking at this pic you can clearly see the miss alignment since last calibrated:

IMAG0335.jpg

Sensor off the collar, quickly reveals Fraud where correct in saying that the easiest fix is to replace the column, Im assuming the white collar that the SAS rides on must be pressed into the lower bearing of the column at the same time the column is assembled, see:

IMAG0336.jpg

I then used some vice grips to rotate the collar back and re allign the marks:

IMAG0337.jpg

I couldn't get the collar out of the bearing, so Im pretty sure its pressing into the bearing at the same time the upper half of the telescopic shaft is, thus becoming "sandwiched" between the OD of the upper shaft and the ID of the bearing. Then the lower half of the shaft (which is the length adjustable bit) is inside the whole lot.

So , without knowing if fraud supply the collar as a separate part ( its Saturday), I didn't want to destroy it totally trying to get it out so instead did a wog fix.

Slid a strip of thin rubber between the ID of the collar and the OD of the smaller lower shaft to make up the difference, and put a hose clamp on it.:

IMAG0340.jpg

Once back in the car, adjusted the column like I like it and did the clamp up.:

IMAG0343.jpg

This in turn locks the collar onto the bottom half of the shaft as well as the original top half. Unfortunately, the column is no longer adjustable in length (still adjustabel height wise) but the collar shouldn't rotate on it, thus no more error.

Its far from ideal, but will do until I work out a better fix.

As long as no one was to try and adjust the length of the column, the car functions as Fraud intended. Took it for a 1hr drive this arvo, no more DSC error.

Edited by Ale
  • Like 2

• Member For: 12y 7m 22d

No worries mate, it took hrs of googling to find out that this issue has been encounted before. Not by many though, and only early bf cars. Dealer said it was quite a rare failure amongst the myraid of usuals.

Even if this topic helps one other person its done its job.

I will look into a better fix though and be sure to add it.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 29d

Glad to see you've come up with a way to make it work. Bugger to see that the white plastic piece is to stuck on to get off but not stuck on enough to not rotate.

Hopefully you wont see this DSC issue again.

• 4 weeks later...