Leighs Ed Turbo

retro-xr6t

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 15d

Hi all

I thought I'd share my current project that I have going at the moment.

Last year I purchased myself a 1994 ED XR6 Auto in Cobalt Blue with 197,000km on the clock, apart from a few car door dings and stone chips, slight rust in the front of the sills the car was pretty straight and in decent condition for its age. The plan was to build a maximum 500rwhp Turbo SOHC street/eventer, however after I got talking to Justin at BYE Performance and Brad from Atomic Performance I soon decided to go down the road of the DOHC conversion with a T56 running it.

e7e3bc4a.jpg

849c5a2b.jpg

68ea6430.jpg

8d2aa16e.jpg

7a304636.jpg

d2f7d777.jpg

18486278.jpg

4f0b8864.jpg

74538179.jpg

caf26ae9.jpg

Shortly after buying the car on a hot the power steer unit clapped out, so while I replaced that I put in a complete new power steering rack, also replaced the tie rod ends, new feed line from the pump, new pump and housing, and got a wheel alignment. New slotted rotors fitted to the front with Bendix pads, and had the rear discs machined and gave the rear calipers some Bendix love too and also Replaced the wheel bearings all around.

Shortly after this I had the car go to WA Suspension and get some new suspension. In went some Super Pro bushes, new ball joints, Whiteline adjustable swaybars, Koni Yellow adjustable Shocks and Lovells Super Low springs all around. Once I got it back I replaced a few things electrically and cosmetically around the car, A tail light was cracked so put a new one in, fixed all the mouldings and garnishes up, fixed the brake light switch and cruise control switch and also changed the orange side repeaters to clear BA ones.

Lastly I changed the 15 inch 5 spoke ED XR wheels to EF/EL 16 inch FTR's and got it Tinted.

41967d85.jpg

8afd07a0.jpg

a7cb6ff3.jpg

5ac2e1fb.jpg

Then a couple of months went by as I hoarded coin and pillaged settlements for food and beverages until I could afford to drop money down on an Atomic 698 GT-A with a few custom modifications done by Brad and a Malwood T56 Conversion Kit. I originally had the Ace option 3+ kit, but it was at this point that things started to get out of hand and the build just kept getting bigger and bigger.. So instead I swapped out the original kit and got an Option 6 Steel Composite Assembly Twin 9.5" Carbon plate clutch and lightened Flywheel kit instead.

1201567c.jpg

3c5dfd82.jpg

595cecf4.jpg

f22676c6.jpg

From here the parts just kept coming, hoarding anything shiny and metal.

Picked up my turbo

b4856b10.jpg

Billet pulley kit

a2a0b4f7.jpg

• Donating Members

Viper intake manifold with fuel rail

6c226738.jpg

646d0288.jpg

6boost manifold

a502eaf3.jpg

5ff9f69e.jpg

50mm Turbosmart Progate Wastegate

e12b5a6b.jpg

After I had all these things it was time for the removal of the old faithful SOHC donk, the cruise control was also removed, aircon removed. All unused holes were marked for welding and filling and the battery tray was marked for removal as the battery was getting relocated to the boot.

2012-06-01142354.jpg

The car then got towed to Outter Limitz spraypainting in Maddington where Alan and his boys welded up all the marked holes, prepped the car, removed the battery tray and then painted the engine bay in a custom Cobalt Blue with blue crystal pearl. The paint looks awesome in person and the sunlight makes the whole bay light up, the rest of the car will be getting this same paint once the conversion is done.

285e17cc.jpg

b3e45fd2.jpg

a7625511.jpg

a95ba9db.jpg

cc190342.jpg

99a28356.jpg

While the car was being painted my turbo and intake manifold went off for polishing

3bbb4a8a.jpg

4a5db01a.jpg

So this is where the car sits at the moment, about to go back in to BYE Performance now for the engine conversion next week with a few other bits and pieces. The K-Frame will be painted once it's been modified to fit the BF sump.

Cheers for reading, I'll post updates as it comes along, the plan is to have it ready for Perth Powercruise this year in October.

Leigh

• Like 3

• Turboless
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 1d

Nice thread! Love where this is going. Good paint choice too. Can't wait for moar pics!! :spoton:

She gunna be a real mover when its finished! :buttrock:

• Donating Members

Thanks fellas,

Yeah im not too sure how this turbo is gonna go actually, I dont think the pics here do it justice for its size to be honest.

Here's a pic of it in my Force 8 engine bay for comparison, the one on the right is mine and the one on the left is going into another car, the one on the left is the next size im gonna go if this doesn't get me where I want..

a3645908.jpg

I got the pulley kit off Atomic :)

• Like 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

love the cobalt colour mate and good onya for going all out first time round with the hardware, its going to be a weapon

Edited by JETSNOT