Cool Stuff You Just Bought

Ralph Wiggum

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 7d

Went car shopping with the missus the other week as she wanted to upgrade from her old 2007 Astra. This is what she bought, not me, but close enough for this thread :)

Test drove the Kia Cerato GT (way too rigid of a ride for her, but liked the 7sp DCT gearbox and turbo 1.6L engine), tried the Kia Cerato Sport (didn't like the 2L N/A  and 6sp TC gearbox combo, but was happy with the suspension), a worthy 3rd place due to the mismatches.

The Mazda3 G25 GT was a really nice ride but with the 2.5L N/A 6sp TC gearbox it just felt slow (even though it was OK, speed-wise), but this lost out to last place due to how expensive it is with a lack of visibility.

The Ford Focus ST-Line was a quality car that the dealership had a fun time trying to sell it to her way above market value but did have a comfortable ride with mid-range sportiness and nimble feel along with the 1.5L turbo giving plenty of punch in the lower speed and it matched well with the 8sp TC gearbox. This one only really lost out in 2nd place due to the slight price hike and the minimum 2wk-1month wait for a vehicle in the specification she wanted.

The first up test drive and winner overall was the 2020 Hyundai I30 N-Line hatchback with a 4cyl 1.6L turbo (150kW @ 6000, 265Nm @ 1500-4500, direct injection) FWD 7spd DCT dry-clutch in a beautiful metallic blue called "Intense Blue". She loved the power delivery, quick shifts, different driving modes, comfort mid-range sportiness that's not too harsh, turbo rush, sticky tyres (michelin pilotsport 4S from the factory which is a huge plus) on the 18"x7.5" wheels/tyres (225/40's from memory), chunky steering wheel, paddle shifters on the steering wheel, n-line specific red-stitching on the interior, leather seats, smart cruise control, reverse camera & sensors and a bunch of safety features standard (and probably many more reasons). Picked it up on Wednesday (the photos) brand new with 35km on the odomoter. I drove it for the first time last night through some twisties and it handles brilliantly due to the combination of those sticky tyres and a smooth power delivery without harsh kickdown and the shift-up is ultra-fast due to the DCT. It has a bit of hesitancy like most DCT's down around crawling speeds, but easy enough to get used to and not bumpy/harsh like some are described.

a10S0VU.jpg

HPkY0Z9.jpg

vNvXYPr.jpg

• Like 3

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

yeah, her driving as a passenger and driving my car occasionally got her hooked on the turbo rush... she wants me to block off the BOV, too ahha we'll see how that turns out in this specific setup.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 23d

Picked up a cheap air rifle today for some weekend plinking

Am tipping the scope is pretty bad, so the sights will be the go

IMG-20210211-WA0002.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Forgot to post this when I got it and it's definitely cool, but finally upgraded my (ancient) old Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for a brand new Google Pixel 4A 5G back in May. Having used it for a month and a half since then, it's goes alright but has a couple of flaws that are only fixed via rooting, so might get around to doing that one day...

bZUuf5f.jpg

M000MpN.jpg

also got a shitty case for the phone for the first time in a long time due to dropping the last slippery curved f**ker a bunch of times haha

aquml0J.jpg

ndSzJmj.jpg

• Like 2