Broken Caliper Bolt = Sh*te!

Bulletime

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 10d

Sooo, brake shudder = new rotors and pads right. The story, late 09 (registered 2010) FG XR 6 Turbo, brake shudder, current kms ~54k, shudder since probably 45k kms. Decision: DBA 4000 slotted front, ebc reds all round..

Day of installation...

Busy day so I don't get to it till late... is it a mistake... maybe... we'll see...

Take off front right wheel, no worries.

Start to take of caliper... hmmm this is tough............. ahh the bolt is free..... WTF it broke!!! OMFG!!

post-44009-0-21144200-1342267402_thumb.p

First bolt that broke

so what's happened is both the top bolts on the calliper have broken...

post-44009-0-47075500-1342267760_thumb.j

here

post-44009-0-74689900-1342268015_thumb.j

and here...

What's really odd, for me as a complete novice, is that both the bolts broke at the same length....

post-44009-0-08540300-1342268247_thumb.j

here are the offending bolts

Seems like the bolts might have fused/welded themselves into the callipers.... yay :/

Fun fun... so tomorrow I'll have another go, I'm going to WD-40 the lower calliper bracket bolts, rock them back and forward since earlier they felt pretty stuck.. hopefully that does the trick.

Then once I have the callipers off I have to hope it's easy to get the remainder of the broken bolts out, got some replacements from supercheap (several because I don't know the exact length yet), might have to use the screw extractors I got as well. Hopefully it works out, otherwise I'll have to take the calliper to a brake place and get the bolts drilled out and rethreaded, and then do a full bleed, which I'm hoping I can avoid. Best case scenario is the lower calliper bolts come off no problem and I can get the broken off bolts out easily enough too.

Wish me luck in the morning :s

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 27d

The bolts are thread locked into the slides, if they have been reused several times and over torqued several times they will snap before the threadlock lets go.

See if you can get some gentle heat into the slide pins (ie hair drier or heatgun) for the remainingg bolts then have a go at removing them.

They are about $13 a bolt from ford and torque spec is only around 25nm (Bionic fell free to chime in if spec is wrong)

• Donating Members

Will the supercheap bolts be strong enough, or will I need the ford ones? They did break in the first place. Presuming of course I get to the point where I can get the old bolts out, will the supercheap ones be enough to get me going?

The brakes should be as new from the factory, never had brake problems, never needed them looked at, so shouldn't have ever been over torqued or reused, except at the factory.

Anyway here goes nothing, hopefully I win today...

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 27d

Will the supercheap bolts be strong enough, or will I need the ford ones?

NOPE! Replace them with the correct factory part or a properly rated bolt of similar specs. Do you really want to trust your brakes to a 25c superchump bolt?

• Donating Members

So bit of an update, the caliper and everything came off ok, took a lot of persuading but got there in the end.

post-44009-0-16868900-1342319132_thumb.j

So this is the damage, what am I looking at replacing here, just the slide bolt thingy (with inner bolt), or the whole seal that's on the bracket too? I'm pretty sure there's no way the broken bolt is coming out of that slide bolt thing, can I get it from fraud or will it be a rip $$ and I should check out the wreckers? (fraud is 10 mins away, wreckers is 40 :s) This will have to wait till tomorrow though, because fraud or the wreckers here are shut today... Will I have to re-grease the whole thing if I'm not replacing them?

These next two photos show the current state, what should I do about it for the rest of today and overnight? Semi reassemble it all so that some chump doesn't come along and run off with my caliper and ruin things for me more (not likely in the area I live but you never know) or is it fine like that?

I'm going to do the rest of the car so hopefully when I sort out the front right then it's just a matter a finishing that off and the whole job is done, should have learned how to do the rest pretty well by then too and hopefully the last one will not be so hard.

Thanks for all your help, hopefully this doesn't scare me off DIY jobs in the future...

post-44009-0-52088700-1342319548_thumb.j

post-44009-0-01595200-1342319667_thumb.j

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 23d

If your in brisbane il give u some bolts for free I work for "fraud" :P if you cant get the rest of the bolt out with viceys etc just go to the wreckers and rip some slides out with their seals.. Lube with LMM grease