What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Henz

• Member For: 9y 11m 16d

Well today I decided to fix my interior fan which has been making a ticking sound, not very exciting I know but I've had the car about a month now and it's slowly been driving me mad( which is a pretty short drive)

I noticed it when I bought the car but it was hardly audible .

I would just turn the stereo up

But I took the missus for a good squirt the other day and before I got up it I turned the stereo off so she could hear all the nice noises a turbo car makes.

Well pleased with my effort and the mechanical symphony the car made I turned to her and said " whadyareckon?" and bugger me the first words to come out of her mouth was "what's that ticking sound?"

So I ripped the fan out thinking it was probably a leaf or something but all was good.

Ran the fan with it out and no more ticking so I thought what ever was in there had fallen out and stuck it back in.

Ticking was back....bugger, so out it came again!

When I ran the fan again , no ticking until I turned it upright and tic tic tic! It was almost a squeaking noise.

I stripped the whole thing down and put a bit of lube on the motor bushes(not brushes)as they seemed really dry.

Success (for now) after 2 hours.

Now drinking beer to kill the pain from all the weird positions I had to get into......hate working under the dash!!!!

• Like 2

It's not to hard to get the fan and motor out(3 screws about a hands width apart) using a small mirror will be a big help , it's up behind the glovebox which I did'nt remove.

Sorry about no pictures but didn't think it would be so involved, it's not hard!

You'll see 2 screws close together that hold the motor in the plastic case remove those once you've got the motor and fan out as one piece and unplug the fan.

Once you've removed the 2 screws holding the motor in you can slide the black plastic case( it's on tight) off the back of the motor.

Next you have to get the locking washer that holds the fan on the motor which is a bit of a bugger, take your time, I levered it off gradually with a screw driver( be careful with the white fan as it could be a little brittle)

Then put the fan on 2 blocks of wood with the motor hanging in between and using a punch or screwdriver tap the shaft lightly out of the fan.

Now comes the fun part taking the back off the electric motor, if you've never pulled apart an electric motor before then now is a good time to learn as this one is not to bad.

They are easy to pull apart but can be hard to get back together because of the brushes.

Remove the back and brushes will also slide out with the plug.

Then remove the shaft and put a little grease on the shaft bushes .

Now just take your time putting it all back together in reverse order, it's fiddely with the motor but you'll get there just be gentle with everything.

It's not a hard job but patience is required, the worst that can happen is you screw it up and then buy one from a wreckers!

Hopefully this fix lasts, we shall see!

• Like 1

Picked up a brand new secondhand boot lid and wing for 3fitty off fleabay.

As the original is totally rusted out below the number plate.

Its the same colour(Rapid) as the original and in really good nick, much better than the one on there.

Even the wing is in better condition and it came with the harness and lock as well.

The only thing missing are the boot badges which I will replace with the ones I already have(you can see where the original badges once were).

What do you think my chances of getting the old badges off and re-using them are?

Anyhow I'm rapted with it just needs a clean and polish.rugy2yry.jpgezube9u5.jpg

• Like 1

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 25d

Hair dryer, fishing line for removal and eucalyptus oil to remove gunk from old boot, new race grade or whatever double sided tape and you should be good to go!

Installed new boot struts yesterday, killer. Now the fiancé won't slam the hell out of it (she's used to her hatchback), and it won't fall on my head when I'm digging through my boot for network cables etc at work :)

Bought them on eBay from "Gas Strut Guys" for $20 plus express delivery.

Edited by -SteveR-
  • Like 2

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

Looks pretty good Steve... epic purchase.

Do they have some sort of load rating? I know my BA F6 bigger wing seems to weigh down the boot (stays open OK) and it closes with more force than my mate's standard XR6.